Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Do we need a WRECKED forum??? add me to the list

Old 12-19-2003, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do we need a WRECKED forum??? add me to the list

ok, short version.... car go shake, rattle, roll.

long version, tuesday morning stuck behind slow car on way to work with train of cars behind. weather was cold, but roads were clear and dry. I was #5 in line, after about 10 miles and no one taking advantage of 2 passing zones, #3 slowed down to make a turn opening up a good sized gap between #2 and #4. Next passing zone was just around the curve with speed limit going from 25 to 50, and at start of zone 2 oncoming vehicles cleared, the 2 in front had not come up to speed, so i took them easily. saw there was still no oncoming traffic so figured i might as well pass the slow car, and #2 as well who still did not attempted to pass and actually was dropping back from lead car. as i approached #2 i saw that i could not complete pass of lead car before zone ended, so angled back to my lane and hit the brakes to scrub off speed. combination lane change, brake, cold street and s-02 equals back end coming around and no time to correct before going off the road sideways on the opposite side, launching into the air and doing 5 or six tumbles that an olympic judge would give me poor marks on form.... did not hit anyone else, more to luck than anything i did. not sure if the #2 driver opened the gap as he saw me coming to give me room, or if it was the #1 driver finally deciding to go the sped limit, or a little of both. in any case, my sliding around in from of the #2 car was not so bad that he was unable to avoid me.

seat belt was on, airbags deployed, ended hanging upside down blocking opposite direction lane and pissed because i could not get the seatbelt undone. 18 stitches for three gashes on forehead and scalp, 3 on a knuckle, some cuts and scrapes, but all parts still attached.

the car on the other hand, has expired to the point of insurance will be cutting a check as totaled. i turned the engine off while i was dangling, so i think that is still good, but wheels/axles are busted and bent as well as every body part. i am glad to report that at least in my case, being a convertible did not seem to hurt much as the passenger compartment does not seem damaged at all other than a bunch of dirt. windshield shattered and the top brace is bent in, but there was still open space between the roll hoops and the roof which at that point was the floor. driver side was compressed so could not get out that way, but the nice police officer, who was in an unmarked car 3 behind me as i pulled out, busted the passenger side window and i crawled out that way. he also had paramedic training and had some kit with him, so put some bandages on the bleeders and, of all things, a body bag to lie on instead of the cold hard road. i told him as long as he was not zipping me up in it, was fine by me.

had the car brought home today, insurance company is giving me time to get off the functional aftermarket parts without affecting their salvage amount. larry and pete have both offered to give me a hand and also can help assess whether i might be able to get more by parting out myself or just take the $3400 the insurance will pay for salvage.

naturally, the day after it happened i got a call from antrim way honda telling me that the Comptech SC A/C that i ordered at FC '03 finally showed up and i could come down and pick it up. have them watching for an '02 or '03 at a good price and will be heading there after x-mas vacation to test an 04.

have a feb 04 court date to let the judge decide if it was reckless driving or just an accident caused by impatience. i started in passing zone, and in hindsight, or for people driving slow trucks, only passing 1st 2 cars would have been more sensible. next passing zone was several miles ahead so my decision to pass next 2 cars would be considered aggressive by many, but i was already at speed, still no oncoming traffic and what seemed like enough room to complete the pass.

keith
Old 12-19-2003, 04:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Cripes Keith!

Best thing I can gratefully say is glad you're alive!

[...Okay & 2nd best thing I can say (I suppose) is glad it was the S2K and not the 360M ]

It took reading down to the "...being a convertible..." part to differentiate which vehicle you were in.

Sorry about the car...but glad you're okay!

- Dave
Old 12-19-2003, 04:19 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Wow, Keith...that sounds bad. Glad you were not more seriously injured. The car can be replaced. Just goes to show that anything can happen in a split second. Hope you are not charged. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by w1ngman
Sorry about the car...but glad you're okay!
Geez, so sorry Keith.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:32 PM

sure, like i would take the ferrari out in this weather....

although i did pull it out of the garage today to get it out of the way for him to slide the s2k off the tow truck.

the cop said he was surprised i was conscious, yet alone alive. commented he wished he had a dash camera recording things to send it Cops or AFV. said that i was halfway up to the lower line of wires between telephone poles. YeeHaw, E-Ticket ride at Disneyland!!!

now i gotta play with rental cars for a few weeks while i decide what to get as a daily driver. i do not care what people say about WV, i am not looking at getting a truck....
no fun at all to drive.

keith
Old 12-20-2003, 05:02 AM

WOW, I am really sorry to hear about this Keith, like the others I am glad to here you are OK.

Reminds me of what happened to my son and my S, both of you were lucky to be alive.

My worst nightmare thread

Good luck with the replacement.

John
Old 12-20-2003, 05:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Again, I couldn't believe it before and I still can't belive it. Janet and I as so glad it wasn't any worse!
Old 12-20-2003, 07:21 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow Keith,

Sorry to hear about this.

I am glad you are ok, was this on Route 9 by any chance?

George
Old 12-20-2003, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn... Glad you're ok Keith!!
Old 12-20-2003, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by w1ngman
It took reading down to the "...being a convertible..." part to differentiate which vehicle you were in.
Really? I figured it out t the part about the S0-2s.

Kieth
It's definitely too bad about your car but I'm glad to hear the bodybag stayed zipped up. Good luck with the stitches, court date, newer S, and daily driver.

Quick Reply: Do we need a WRECKED forum??? add me to the list