Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

FS: Not very good tires

Old 11-09-2005, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS: Not very good tires

I know they suck but if someone wants them to either burn out or whatever let me know. They all hold air and I'm still driving on them today until 7pm ish so they are useable.

2 Rear Fulda Extremos - A lot of tread left over. They were new in March probably still worth something.
2 Front S02s - Junk in my opinion....bald on the inside and cracks on the ouside

The fronts you can have for free if you pick up. Rears I wouldnt mind like $50.

They will be available tonight at 7pm and on, but I don't want to store them so if no one wants them I'll throw them out.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Not the extremos, you have to be crazy to get rid of thoses!

Mike, what tires did you end up replacing yours with?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Zeemz,Nov 9 2005, 11:30 AM
Not the extremos, you have to be crazy to get ride of thoses!

Mike, what tires did you end up replacing yours with?
shuuuuuuut up

Avon Tech M550 A/S

They are Ultra High Performance All-Seasons. They got really good ratings on tirerack.com (and customer reviews) so I'm hoping those are accurate. I usually go with more trusted names, but these out rated almost all the other all-seasons.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...place=0&index=0

The price couldn't be beat either. $380 for all 4 shipped to my door. I figure next spring I'll just buy some really nice summer tires.

If anyone else has these or has experience with them feel free to comment.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by civicguyinva,Nov 9 2005, 04:29 PM
shuuuuuuut up

Avon Tech M550 A/S

They are Ultra High Performance All-Seasons. They got really good ratings on tirerack.com (and customer reviews) so I'm hoping those are accurate. I usually go with more trusted names, but these out rated almost all the other all-seasons.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...place=0&index=0

The price couldn't be beat either. $380 for all 4 shipped to my door. I figure next spring I'll just buy some really nice summer tires.

Just got 4 M550A/Ses in yesterday

I looked for a long time for some good all seasons and these seem to be the best for the price

I think I'm going to let my s02's go a little more bald before I get rid of them
Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by civicguyinva,Nov 9 2005, 12:29 PM
Avon Tech M550 A/S

I have had M500's for about 3 weeks now. I opted for the 500's instead of the 550's since I am not going to drive the S2K in the winter time. I noticed the side walls flexed more than the S02's did so you don't get as sharp of a turn in when cornering aggressively. Since the sidewalls are softer you get a smoother ride than the S02's. The M500 wet weather handling is excellent and the tires are extremely gripy in both wet and dry conditions. It also seemed to me (although my S02's were used when I bought the car) that you can predict the point at which the M500's will break traction better than the S02's. My S02's would grip very well then BAM just loose traction where the M500's start to vibrate before they loose all traction. If you are going to do some serious racing I'm not sure you will be 100% satisfied since the turn in capabilities are not as good but that depends on your driving.

M500 Pros:
-Very affordable
-Equal grip after the sidewalls flex compared to the S02's
-Superior wet weather handling than the S02's especially after the S02's are worn (S02's scared me in the rain when they were worn out)
-Predictable

M500 Cons:
-Softer sidewalls (I like a rough ride in a sports car, seems like I feel the road more)
-Turn in capabilities not as sharp as the S02's

Avon has been making excellent motorcycle tires for many years now. I might try a S03's next time but I would definitely go with the M500's again for the simple fact that they are HALF the price and the performance is just about the same.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:57 PM

From what Ive seen so far im not impressed. Like you said.....softer tires so the turning isnt as crisp. I'm hoping they redeem themselves in wet and winter conditions. It is VERY easy to tell when they will lose traction but so far it sure doesnt take much. I hope they break in a little or something.

I had to trash my front tires....didnt want to risk anyones safety but I have the extremos (which held traction better then these tires have so far) if anyone wants them make an offer.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:45 PM

This month's Car + Driver has an 11 tire comparison. It shows that the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 has excellent performance both in the wet and dry, even though it's a Max Performance Summer tire. It actually placed #1 overall in the comparison.

If you drive 3/4 of the year, but not winter, it's hard to beat it. The only way I'd go with a different tire were if I only drove when it was dry out, which some people do.

- Jeremy (jnn4v)
Old 11-10-2005, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by jnn4v,Nov 9 2005, 08:45 PM
This month's Car + Driver has an 11 tire comparison. It shows that the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 has excellent performance both in the wet and dry, even though it's a Max Performance Summer tire. It actually placed #1 overall in the comparison.

- Jeremy (jnn4v)
Those are the tires I am buying in the spring. They sound really good. I'm hoping these all-seasons will keep me safe until then. These seem a lil better now with some mileage on them. They felt very sure footed at 100+. I think the only downside right now is responsiveness (lack of).
Old 11-10-2005, 05:24 AM

10 bucks for your rear tires.. for me to have some fun with in an empty parking lot...
Old 11-10-2005, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by civicguyinva,Nov 9 2005, 05:57 PM
From what Ive seen so far im not impressed. Like you said.....softer tires so the turning isnt as crisp.
Yes I don't think they deserve a Ultra high performance rating. Never haven driven on new S02's my comparison might have been a bit skewed. I did hear the 550's were lamer than the 500's too but I still say for the money they are descent tires.

Good luck with them, let us know if they get better with age.

Quick Reply: FS: Not very good tires