Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Hub/Bearing Replacement

Old 09-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub/Bearing Replacement

Hi All,

My car has started making the bad rear bearing sound and will probably need to have the right rear bearing and hub replaced. I already torqued the spindle nut to 220 ft-lbs and that helped for a bit.

Has anyone gotten this done in a shop around here? If so, what did it cost?

Any shop recommendation in or near Montgomery County?

I am debating trying to do it myself but will need to buy a couple of special tools so I am wondering if it is worth the effort and climbing up the learning curve to do it. If it would be about the same cost after buying the tools, I will probably just have a shop do it. (Although I would have the tools for doing the left bearing in the future )

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Greg
Old 09-22-2009, 03:04 PM

Mitchell On Demand is saying 1.6 hours to do the work. Depending on the labor rate, ours is $95 an hour, I would say somewhere around $150 plus parts to get the job done. Hope that helps,

David
Old 09-22-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by quicksilver,Sep 22 2009, 04:57 PM
Hi All,

My car has started making the bad rear bearing sound and will probably need to have the right rear bearing and hub replaced. I already torqued the spindle nut to 220 ft-lbs and that helped for a bit.

Has anyone gotten this done in a shop around here? If so, what did it cost?

Any shop recommendation in or near Montgomery County?

I am debating trying to do it myself but will need to buy a couple of special tools so I am wondering if it is worth the effort and climbing up the learning curve to do it. If it would be about the same cost after buying the tools, I will probably just have a shop do it. (Although I would have the tools for doing the left bearing in the future )

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Greg
What exactly is that sound like...as I have a mystery clunk in my rear end that I can't find.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:06 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Hey i had Both my hubs and bearings replaced for 200...

i'm not sure if you got qoated for just ONE side for 150.. but all i did was give them the hubs, bearings, chilled while they worked on the car and paid my 200 and left.. I live in nova.. shop is off of route one near fort belvoir.. if your interested..
Old 09-22-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ECale3,Sep 22 2009, 07:33 PM
What exactly is that sound like...as I have a mystery clunk in my rear end that I can't find.
It is a bit hard to describe. It started off as a loud clicking sound when I would back up and then move forward ( I read someone describe it as sounding like two marbles hitting, but mine sounded more like billiard balls hitting). I read on the site to torque the rear axle spindle nuts to 220 ft-lbs. That got rid of the sound for a while but then it came back. Now, the right rear is making a sound like something is rubbing that is speed dependent. I thought it might be the brakes but the sound does not change when the brakes are engaged and I had the rotor runout checked and the pads are still in good shape. Also, the sound is louder at low speed and when I am making a left turn. Hope this helps, not sure if the sound you have would be the initial click that I heard.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by quicksilver,Sep 22 2009, 05:49 PM
It is a bit hard to describe. It started off as a loud clicking sound when I would back up and then move forward ( I read someone describe it as sounding like two marbles hitting, but mine sounded more like billiard balls hitting). I read on the site to torque the rear axle spindle nuts to 220 ft-lbs. That got rid of the sound for a while but then it came back. Now, the right rear is making a sound like something is rubbing that is speed dependent. I thought it might be the brakes but the sound does not change when the brakes are engaged and I had the rotor runout checked and the pads are still in good shape. Also, the sound is louder at low speed and when I am making a left turn. Hope this helps, not sure if the sound you have would be the initial click that I heard.
i think that's the same sound mine makes, and it happens at the same time as yours....except i have a fricken MY07. don't understand why i'd be having problems like this after barely 2 years of ownership.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Quicksilver,

That does sound like a bearing. You'll usually hear more noise in a turn when the bad bearing is on the outside of the turn.

My dealer charged $540 for the right rear bearing and hub replacement. My left rear is going but I now have a hydraulic press and monster size torque wrench so I'll do it myself. The bearing and hub alone are about $200 from Honda.

The best way to do it is pop the 3 ball joints and take the knuckle (with hub and bearing) to a dealer, shop, machine shop,etc. and let them press out the old bearing and hub and press in the new. It should only cost about $40.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by robrob,Sep 23 2009, 12:40 AM
The best way to do it is pop the 3 ball joints and take the knuckle (with hub and bearing) to a dealer, shop, machine shop,etc. and let them press out the old bearing and hub and press in the new. It should only cost about $40.
$40-$50 per side
Old 09-23-2009, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the information everyone. I found I can get the parts for about $160 online. I would have to get a special tool to pop the ball joints. The tool is about $150.

Based on what David (yeaitsahonda) and HMFIC mentioned above, I can get a shop to do the labor for about $100-$150. If I go to the dealer, it will be over $500 (parts and labor).

Either way it will be at least $300 or so to do it this time but if I do it myself, if the left side goes bad too, I will be able to fix for less than $200. If one is shot, will the other be far behind?

Has anyone done this themselves? How hard was it? I found a write-up of the proceedure in under-the-hood FAQ section and it does not seem too bad. On the other hand, it is something that I would not want to mess up!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You can use a generic balll joint popper. Get them online for about $25 from harborfreight.com. It's not that hard.

My right rear went about 4 months ago and now the left rear is makiing noise, so it wouldn't hurt to do both.

Quick Reply: Hub/Bearing Replacement