Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Maryland Emission Test Waived

Old 09-06-2002, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maryland Emission Test Waived

On Tuesday, I took my car in for it's first Emission Test. The guys conducting the tests were looking over my car and just before it was my turn, the Manager for the Emission Station came out. He was looking my car over and was checking my ground clearance. He asked me to pull my car out of the line and he told me, he was going to waive my test. I asked why and he said he was concerned my car may not clear the Dyno machine. He was worried it may damage the undercarriage. I told him that my car was stock and he said there are certain cars, which he has waived the test before. I did not even have to pay the $14.00, because they waived the test. The Emission Station I went to is in Baltimore County and is located in Owings Mills. So, for those of you in Maryland, when it is time for an emission test, you may want to save $14.00 and take you car there. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Mike
Old 09-07-2002, 09:35 AM

Everytime I've been to the Silver Spring VEIP with my slammed(because of H22) Civic, they don't put me on the rollers. Instead, they'll do the tailpipe test where they sit there and let it idle, then rev it to certain RPM's and hold. I've passed with flying colors every time..within Civic emissions specs.

So, that's odd that they would just waive the test altogether, along with the fee.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:53 AM

I had the same encouter as andyp, just a tail pipe test instead of the dyno-lookalike roller machines.

He probably knew that the S is an LEV, so no need to waste time and money
Old 09-08-2002, 07:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Loving
[B]On Tuesday, I took my car in for it's first Emission Test.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:54 AM

Received 766 Likes on 457 Posts

Where is that emissions station located (exactly)?
Old 09-10-2002, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by TepEvan
Where is that emissions station located (exactly)?
You take Owings Mills Blvd and you know where is the 7eleven is? Just follow the sign!
Old 09-10-2002, 10:06 AM

Received 766 Likes on 457 Posts

oh ok, I know exactly where it is now.

Thanks!
::thumbsup::
Old 09-11-2002, 05:37 AM

This is kinda odd, but last month I got my emissions tested over in howard county and they only plugged in an OBD2 looking connector to a plug in the passenger side footwell. No dyno, no tailpipe, no waiver. In very little time, they unplugged it and gave me a printout saying I "passed."

I thought it was strange, but figured it was something new (which others apparently aren't having done).

chris
Old 09-11-2002, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cvance
[B]This is kinda odd, but last month I got my emissions tested over in howard county and they only plugged in an OBD2 looking connector to a plug in the passenger side footwell.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:11 AM

I took my car in for the emissions test last Saturday in Westminster. These days they do only the OBD2 test on newer cars (1996 and later??). I guess the treadmill test will only be done on older cars.
Even though the car doesn't go on the treadmill, it has to be driven over it to get to the OBD computer. They were worried about clearance, but it was no problem on my stock S2K.

Quick Reply: Maryland Emission Test Waived