Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

My worst nightmare has come true

Old 05-04-2003, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come these stories are so common?

Only -1- time someone takes your car for a drive, and they wreck it.

That's how I decided to get rid of my 97 Cobra... friend's girlfriend drove it on New Year's and ended up slamming into the curb and ripping off two wheels. Never handled right again. ( Or in the first place... )
Old 05-04-2003, 09:32 AM

Man...John, I am so glad that your son is ok! I am sure that he will live with this for the rest of his life. I am not the most *sane* driver myself but I cannot even imagine the thoughts that when through your son's head as the accident unfolded. But, it appears everyone made it out alive, and somewhat intact and that is what is the most important. As sad as it will be to see your S, don't late the little lady break your heart. It was her time to go. The only thing I would do from here is drill the no-no's of taking the keys for your car without you knowing, to your son. Not preaching...just my advice. Good luck with the S, and I hope your son and others recover ok.

- Andrew
Old 05-04-2003, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jason00S2000
Only -1- time someone takes your car for a drive, and they wreck it.
Only -1- time someone takes your car for a drive and gets caught, and they wreck it.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by RazorV3
poor s2k, your son wins the darwin award.
I'm sorry, but that comment that was definitely uncalled for, guy. If I recall from talking to your dad, you're probably around the same age as John's son...hence, there are things that you've yet to learn as well.

AP
Old 05-04-2003, 10:25 AM

Wow. I hate hearing stories like this. More about kids getting into trouble for their actions. Yes, glad he is okay and that was your first priority. You are a good Dad.

I post the following, not to get on your case (although I admit it will probably appears that way) but more as a wake up call and something to look at.

You mention that you usually take the keys with you. I'm guessing that you did this because although you love your son, you did not trust him yet with good judgment in using your S or perhaps any car. Don't want to beat you up after the fact, but I hope you take some responsibility. It's tough, I know, but a parent HAS TO BE consistent with their actions when it comes to their kids. Can't send mixed messages. Believe it or not they do crave discipline and it is NOT being a bad parent to be strict, to discipline etc. It is difficult to know just where to draw the line and stick with it.

I had a friend (still do) that had adopted a boy when he was about 13. Saw him through school and college. I was there for his college graduation. I had heard of a few "incidents" with coming in very late, drunk etc., and yet, my friend was having a very difficult time enforcing the rules regarding things like that. There were many opportunities to DO something to set the record straight, but she didn't do them and well the message he got was that it was okay to keep doing them because all she'd do is yell at him. Turns out, she co-signed for a nice beemer. He was a college senior about to graduate who was often late to his part time job, who couldn't get himself up in the morning, and who often partied and came home late and drunk. Oh well. If it were me, no way he'd get a car and especially no way he'd have me co-sign for one, let a lone a beemer. Oh, and he was careless with his checking account (for sure another reason not to co-sign). I didn't get many of these details until an incident on the day of his graduation and after the ceremony. To make a long story short, there was a shouting match between the two and I intervened to calm him down and reason with him about the car etc. I had him so calm that he even volunteered to have the car sold so that he'd be on his own etc. My friend didn't want to do that because she feared losing money (the difference between the purchase price and the FMV now after about 3 months of owning this new beemer). I kept pointing out that it would be cheaper than what might befall them if he continued etc. She just wouldn't listen. I begged her. No way. A month later he was drunk (not legally apparently but close) and late coming home from a party and rearended the car in front causing multiple burns etc. (the car in front had their gas tank explode from the impact). He's okay but got sued (so did she as co-owner of the car). She's lucky he was okay and that after a year and a half the lawsuit was settled for the insurance. After he called her with the news of the accident, she had called me..."I wish I had listened...thank God he's okay." He now drives a beater with his own money and apparently has learned a big lesson.

You HAVE to pay attention to the signals and ACT on them. Not saying something like this could have been prevented, but may be. I don't want to kick you because I'm willing to bet you probably did a great job with him. He was a kid doing a very stupid thing. Let us know what HE thinks he did wrong and his consequences should be. I like the two list thing.

Good luck.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:49 AM

Oh man, Im glad your son is ok. Your right, your son is the most important thing, the car (even though it costs an arm and a leg) is still a car. Good luck with everything!
Old 05-04-2003, 12:02 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to hear this John.

The good news is that nobody is seriously hurt.

I guess I am lucky my dad didnt have a sports car when I was a teenager (long ago) instead of a VW Rabbit. Yes I totaled it (drunk and stupid, ) add more HP and I could have written myself off too.

This car is kind of like a motorcycle as it requires a higher level of attention when driving and does not suffer fools.

Good luck with everything

George
Old 05-04-2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Jason00S2000
How come these stories are so common?
Cuz we only post things out of the ordinary. When things go smoothly, people don't often come here and go, "wow, my car ran so smoothly today, and I avoided accidents!"
Old 05-04-2003, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am glad your son is ok....

this makes me wonder... how does an officer decide what is reckless. I can say what your son did was reckless, 80 in a one two lane road. my friend had an accident on the highway, the rear slid out, and she spun, hitting a guardrail. she avoided all the cars while crossing three lanes going sideways.. and they charged her with reckless driving... so unfair....
Old 05-04-2003, 12:59 PM

as a teenager who has done some stupid shit in an S2000, including wiping out the right rear suspension, I have to say that you should come down on him hard. I know if it were me, as much as I'd hate it in the short term, It'd be for the best in the long term. Everyone needs a wake up call to the reality of being an adult, and for some it comes in a harsher form than for others. But do it in a benevolent way...I like the idea of having him create a punishment for himself; if it's genuine and sufficient, and he keeps his word, it'll tell you a lot about his character, maturity, and level of responsibility. The real test is whether he punishes himself for it, because if you punish him there's no guarantee that he actually learned any lesson from it.

Of course I'm not a parent but If i was one that's what I'd do...you should parent in your own way, he's your kid and you know him better than any of us do, so use your own judgement; it seems sound to me.

Good luck with everything and it's nice that most people show concern for the people before the car, despite how much we all love the machine and despite how stupid and irresonible the driver was. I doubt that anyone here has never been stupid or irresponsible once (or 100) times before.

Quick2K

Quick Reply: My worst nightmare has come true