Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Need some tech help...

Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some tech help...

Ok, so I had posted a thread previously about my car not starting. A lot of people said it was the battery, etc. I ended up push starting my car to get it to the dealership I bought it from so they could look at it. Upon arrival the car started fine and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Drove it a few days with no issues. I stalled it out taking off on a big hill, started up with no hiccups. All good!

Fast forward to last night. I was trying to turn around on base and I put my tires off the pavement. Needing a little extra umph I gave the car some gas to try and bump back onto the pavement and off the dirt. I unfortunately stalled out in my noobness at mtx's and the car wouldn't start again. Push started it and then killed it to see if there was a pattern, sure enough it wouldn't start again. Parked it at the barracks and turned it on and off a few times, no issues.

So, it appears that when I stall it out, there is a high chance that it will not start back up. The starter doesn't make any noise, etc. The start engine button will just click and the car will act like it's going to start, with no actual starter reaction. I'm assuming it's a starter on it's way out and that killing it somehow leads it to not seat on the flywheel or something. Ordered a starter on ebay from a part out (used with 20k miles but it was only $40) and will be putting that on just to be on the safe side. Any other ideas as to what it could be? Originally I had guessed it was an electrical connection to the starter but then it's completely fine when I drive around and don't stall it out.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts

Have you checked the battery connections and the grounds. It almost sounds like the vibration from stalling is shaking a connection enough so that something isn't grounded.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Loose battery connection, bad ground somewhere, or faulty starter.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

starter being the least possible...
Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM

The PO ripped out whatever stereo he had in it before trading it in, there's evidence of that. Lots of connections that are non-factory and were done rather sloppy. My stereo also isn't playing music through the speakers. You think maybe that could have something to do with it?

I checked all fuses and the battery terminals are connected tightly. Only thing I could think of was the starter or possibly a stripped wire somewhere in there that was left bare when the dude took out the stereo and just didn't cap the ends properly.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 PM

Sounds like you are getting the starter locked up at some point when you stall out and it wont engage until you "kick" it out by push starting it.

Also it could be a sign of a battery going bad. Not getting enough amperage to the starter to crank over if its in a bad position.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 PM

i had a very similar problem with my old sentra spec v .. check the actual plug that conects the power intol the starter. if its loose make sure its plugged all the way in amd make sure it doesnt wiggle. i had to use a vip tie to fix mine. so that the wire stays in the same place at all times
Old 03-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Yeah, so I got my replacement starter in today and I started ripping into it only to get down to removing the starter bolts and discovering what I believe was the issue. The top bolt was missing (no biggie) and the bottom one was so loose I could back it off like I was adjusting the volume on my stereo (BIG DEAL). The starter had play back and forth and could wiggle freely. I tightened it up and put everything back together and now the car starts a lot more positively and it just feels better overall.

Hopefully this solves my problems.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:07 PM

I was close lol. Hope that was the fix. GL
Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Thanks. So far so good.

Quick Reply: Need some tech help...