Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

New Soft Top for ME :)

Old 10-15-2005, 11:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New Soft Top for ME :)

I've got the wear holes getting worse on the sides of the top behind the windows. I've got a slight tear in the top where it folds down right behind the driver's door. I talked to AHM, they told me to have it checked out and I forgot about it. That was June?

So, after having some leakage with all the rain (partly the holes, but mostly my strikers) I decided to follow up. Had Criswell check it out again and they were very nice (Thanks!) and I believe in part due to their positive attitude, AHM agreed to pay for the top if I pay for the labor.

I think this is very reasonable, considering the car (though maintained immacuately and garaged since new) is at 80k miles and 5.5 yrs. Maybe my not suing Honda over my near-death experience played into it (tho that was mostly due to negligent techs at a certain other crap dealership that WAS good when the expert was there).

I'd swapped the strikers once before (side to side) to alleviate wear but ordered some new strikers (hard top) from hardtopguy and installed those. Greased up the seals with ShinEtsu and the now I just have to organize the top install.

Here's what the old strikers looked like when I took them out:

Yeah, there's some metal missing there.

Anyway, kudos to Honda for standing behind this and to Criswell for their support.

I'll report back after the install. Apparently Criswell has a shop they use and another member here (???) recently had their top done by the same shop, through Criswell.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh.. if you don't remember, Criswell supports the s2ki community pretty well here in Mid-A. They allow us to use their shop for the wash and wax meet which no other dealer has done. Plus we have some members here that also work directly with them in other aspects.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Of course I realize this.
I was just posting another positive experience with Criswell.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:31 AM

Received 440 Likes on 317 Posts

Kudos to Criswell!
Old 10-17-2005, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also like to give Criswell a huge thank you for taking care of me as well. For those of you that don't know I bought my car back in July. I shopped around and almost bought a different certified honda that had a small hole in the top. Thanks to everyone at s2ki I was prepared and didn't fall into that trap. However even after finding another car. With a pristine top and only 12,500 miles on the clock 4500 miles later the top developed wear at a rapid pace.

Thanks to the advice of Tom, Peter and Dylan, I took my car to Criswell. Part of the frame had come loose and was causing "unusual wear" so they talked to AHM and it was approved to be repaired by having a upholstering company restitch the two affected areas. When they said they couldn't make it match. Criswell's service manager stepped back up to the plate with AHM and got approval for my top to be replaced through my Hondacare warranty.

Criswell is 40 miles from my house. My girlfriend and I also sat on the beltway few times carting my car back and forth from Criswell. However, I will say it was well more than worth the time and traffic. I told my service advisor. "I had been told that you guys take care of your customers and thats why I came out of my way to bring my car here. You guys have more than exceeded my expectations." The guys there put the customer first, and because of this, I will continue to go out of my way and fight evening rush hour on the beltway when the S needs some work.

Criswell