Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

NOVA - Dedicated Winter Tires Must?

Old 10-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default NOVA - Dedicated Winter Tires Must?

I'd post this in the general forum but I wanted to see if any of the locals members from the NOVA area have tried running on Summer tires in the winters. I used to have an 06 g35 MT that I ran with Conti DW (summer tires) in the winter without too much trouble on non snow days. However I had to be extra careful (I know not wise).

I ran Conti DWS on my 13 Audi S4 with excellent results. Ofcourse it was Quattra.

I currently have brand new Pilot Super Sports on Stock AP2v1 wheels on my 04 s2000. I have three options to consider.

1) Keep Summer tires on (I know not cool, without traction control I might crash the car in a few days)

2) Get downsized wheels (16" Sports Edition P4 from Car max 7.5" front and rear, 48MM offset with 205/55/16 F and 225/50/16 - STOCK AP1 size) will this fit

3) Get the same wheels as above but get Winter tires

The reason option 2 attracts me most, is that usually in NOVA, there is only snow a couple of days a year (going by average) and the snow on the ground sticks around for a few days atmost. I can avoid going out in the s2k on those days, more for fear of other people not seeing my car and running into me with their camrys with balding tires. For most other days, I figured the All season DWS would be better than winter tires (from a performance point of view).

Curious to hear what others have to say.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts

If you ever need to drive in the snow/ice during the winter, get snow tires. If you just want cold weather grip and don't have to drive if it ever snows I would say just get all seasons. Snow tires are awesome in snow and ice, but will wear quickly with warmer weather.

I would really recommend you do not run those pilot super sports in 40 or below weather though, they will have zero grip and might even develop cracks.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by goldenfri
If you ever need to drive in the snow/ice during the winter, get snow tires. If you just want cold weather grip and don't have to drive if it ever snows I would say just get all seasons. Snow tires are awesome in snow and ice, but will wear quickly with warmer weather.

I would really recommend you do not run those pilot super sports in 40 or below weather though, they will have zero grip and might even develop cracks.
Thanks for the reply. I do have another car. Its a FWD Jetta that I plan to take out on the occasional snow day and for any day that there is still snow on the ground. On such days I am more worried about people crashing into me (thats why never even took out the Audi).

So yeah the DWS06 seems like a good compromise.

Now. The question is should I get them in stock size 215/245 or should I go with smaller 16" RIMS with AP1 size 205/225. This will save me the trouble of mounting and balancing the tires on the stock rims again in 4 months time. How much of a performance hit will the AP1 size be. I have seen the video where the AP1 summer tires don't suit the AP2 chassis, but will it be as noticeble with all seasons as well.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts

I would probably just go with AP1 wheels, they are cheap and tires are cheap for them. You won't have as much grip with the smaller tire for sure, but they will be a lot cheaper.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:53 AM

So I found a set of Replica (probably chinese made) AP2,V1 wheels (brand new). For $400 on ebay. All the specs match the stock wheels. So I am hoping simple swap.

I think I am going to go with DWS06 in stock size (215/245). Played around with (225/255) combo for a bit but I think 225 looks too bulging on the stock 7" front. Didn't like that look in the past. I know thinner tires are better for winter traction\grip, but I am trying to maximize performance in non ice non snow conditions *which is hopefully going to be most of the winter here. Is the DWS06 245, tread section same as a PSS 245, if it is much thinner, I might be tempted to + size for 225/255 combo, because I don't like the thin tire look (I know that has nothing to do with performance).
Old 10-12-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of rep oem wheels. Can you link them? As far as tires I am sure all seasons will be able to get you around here for most of the days unless you get caught in the snow storm. Winter tires are amazing and might be worth the peace of mind since you dont have any TC to help.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by steelers743
Never heard of rep oem wheels. Can you link them? As far as tires I am sure all seasons will be able to get you around here for most of the days unless you get caught in the snow storm. Winter tires are amazing and might be worth the peace of mind since you dont have any TC to help.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Set-of-4...3D401201763621

I already ordered these, since they were cheaper then any 16" winter wheels I could find online on used market. Hopefully they don't crack on hitting the first pot hole. My daily commuite is pretty civil though. Mostly traffic through 50 and 66 to Tysons (why did I get an s2k for this run )

Pretty set on getting DWS06 in the stock 215/245 size.

I know winters would be better for the occasional snow day. But I do not intend to take my car out in icey or snow conditions at all. And front my past experience with dedicated snow tires, they are terrible in everything else that is not snow. Still worried about lack of TC like you said. Even on my Audi S4 with DWS (origional) tires, if I turned the TC off, the car became like roller skates. On the other hand I have done NOVA winter with G35 6MT on Conti DW (summer tires) w MT. So hoping the S without traction and DWS06 is not any worse than that.

The plan is keep All Seasons on for 6 months Nov15-Apri15. And the rest of the time put back my PSS. THat way I use the PSS tread when it can make the most difference. God I love those tires.