Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

S2000 Prepurchase Inspection

Old 10-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Prepurchase Inspection

Hi, I'm in the market for an AP1 and have narrowed it down to a couple cars. I was wondering if anyone here, in the DC area could recommend a good shop to do a prepurchase inspection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2013, 12:15 AM

I don't live in the DC area but when I was looking for an s2k I had a few of these done to some of the ones I was considering. Now looking back at the whole ordeal I wouldve preferred to bring someone who actually owned an s2000 and was familiar with the trouble areas. The preinspection was 99% a visual inspection. I would just get a compression test done and have that well-informed person do the visual look-over. The preinspection is not worth the money and is honestly something you could do yourself if you had their checklist. Good luck though.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 AM

Honda, Toyota, and some other brands mention their 150+ point inspection of used cars. The list of inspection items can be found on their respective web sites. I compiled these in a document, which I printed and took with me to inspect a local dealer's used S for sale, where I 'crawled around' the car for more than an hour with the list in hand. I used the results in 'negotiation' over price ... "I'll pay your asking price if the work is done to correct these items, or we can reduce the price you're asking by what it will cost me to take care of these remaining issues." (The dealer wouldn't budge, so it was no sale - but at least I wasn't ripped off.)

As the S we eventually bought was a private sale and not local, I paid a dealer near the seller to give the car their 150+ point inspection just as they would if the car were being considered as a trade-in, plus a compression test. A couple items were discovered, by being able to work around under the car on a lift, that I wouldn't have found on my own. The seller made a very minor adjustment in his deal as a result, but more importantly (to me), I purchased the car and drove away with my doubts and fears largely reduced. The cost of the process was 1% to 2% of the purchase price, worth it to me.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by wdtd
Honda, Toyota, and some other brands mention their 150+ point inspection of used cars. The list of inspection items can be found on their respective web sites. I compiled these in a document, which I printed and took with me to inspect a local dealer's used S for sale, where I 'crawled around' the car for more than an hour with the list in hand. I used the results in 'negotiation' over price ... "I'll pay your asking price if the work is done to correct these items, or we can reduce the price you're asking by what it will cost me to take care of these remaining issues." (The dealer wouldn't budge, so it was no sale - but at least I wasn't ripped off.)

As the S we eventually bought was a private sale and not local, I paid a dealer near the seller to give the car their 150+ point inspection just as they would if the car were being considered as a trade-in, plus a compression test. A couple items were discovered, by being able to work around under the car on a lift, that I wouldn't have found on my own. The seller made a very minor adjustment in his deal as a result, but more importantly (to me), I purchased the car and drove away with my doubts and fears largely reduced. The cost of the process was 1% to 2% of the purchase price, worth it to me.
Yeah, I'm fairly certain I will go with the prepurchase inspection. I guess any old Honda dealer will suffice?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the car located that you are considering? I may be able to come out and look at it with you. I just made a purchase in July after searching for many months. I could tell you what to look for and consider.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mack21
Where is the car located that you are considering? I may be able to come out and look at it with you. I just made a purchase in July after searching for many months. I could tell you what to look for and consider.
^He will tell you to look for an NFR and nothing else.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mack21
Wow, thanks man that's really nice. I'm looking at a couple cars. One in McLean which has 82k miles and one in Rockville which has 19k miles. There's also one out in Olney but the bumper is a little damaged so not sure about that one.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by baZurk
Originally Posted by Mack21' timestamp='1382352930' post='22837781
NFR? Sorry...I is noob...
Old 10-21-2013, 05:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by discretion
Originally Posted by baZurk' timestamp='1382360456' post='22837880
[quote name='Mack21' timestamp='1382352930' post='22837781']
[/quote]

New Formula Red, it is one of the colors that the s2k was available in and is also the color that Mack21 drives.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by baZurk
Originally Posted by discretion' timestamp='1382360611' post='22837883
[quote name='baZurk' timestamp='1382360456' post='22837880']
[quote name='Mack21' timestamp='1382352930' post='22837781']
[/quote]

New Formula Red, it is one of the colors that the s2k was available in and is also the color that Mack21 drives.
[/quote]

Ohhh I should have known that. There's a pretty nice NFR one near me that I dismissed because...well I was worried about the whole redness of it. For some reason, I think red cars don't age well. Especially, Japanese ones...not sure why.

Quick Reply: S2000 Prepurchase Inspection