Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Sova Chat Thread ver. III

Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

And if you're raising them so much that the helpers are fully compressed then you're at the point you really need to remove them and get longer spings. That will move the adjustment perch down lower and it'll have more threads to engage all over again. But like mentioned above if you have them so that that the shock shaft is up as far as it'll go you won't be able to go any lower.

Had someone finally PM me about a bumper swap......already making me think holding off on changing anything.

And here we go again
Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, if you've already compressed the helper spring and you're still turning the perch, you're starting to preload the spring. And that can make for a super stiff ride.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been having a grinding noise coming from the rear but only during deceleration from 10mph to a complete stop. After finding my brake piston compressing tool (or whatever that funky box is called), I had found that the pistons easily retracted into the caliper. Thanks to Pete and Cory for the heads up on the spindle nut re-torquing. I was only able to torque the nut about 30-degrees more than stock vice the 60-degrees (12 o'clock position of the staked nut to the 2 o'clock) recommended by BillMan.

I just came back from the test drive and the noise is gone. I haven't been driving the S much since I didn't want to do any further damage (if it were a bearing) and because it has been embarrassing to drive around with the grinding noise when approaching stops.

Now all I need is an alignment. I need it real bad. Who should I ask for at Peninsula Honda?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 PM

Glad to hear that fixed your problem!

Did you remove the nut completely and grease the backside of it? That's the main thing that has to be done in order to get it to the 2 o'clock position. Hopefully your bearing is ok. Sometimes tightening down the axle nut is just a bandaid. On my AP1, but bearing/hub started making a horrible grinding sound at all speeds. Honda retorqued it and it went away. But about a few months later, some other sounds started showing up.

Then I traded it in for my current car.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Perry, Go to parts. Ask forTravis. Tell him I told you to go up there. He will steer you in the right direction.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by FISH22
Glad to hear that fixed your problem!

Did you remove the nut completely and grease the backside of it?
Yeah, I greased it.

Originally Posted by C Ory
Perry, Go to parts. Ask forTravis. Tell him I told you to go up there. He will steer you in the right direction.
Thanks! Gonna try to get up early tomorrow and get it done before heading southside for errands, then to our Starbucks meet.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I got the car with the Bilsteins all the way lowered which with these new tires does not work out to great. The helpers are not fully compressed, I can raise the coilovers about 2-3 threads on each side before they won't budge anymore. Maybe I should pick up a set of the Bilstein 'wrenches' for them? As I am using some generic ones I found in my garage from who knows what. I retried using a hammer and screw driver and they are not moving. Would a lube like WD-40 or PB Blaster harm them? They look brand new on the car no rust or corrosion from what I see. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 PM

Contact Bilstein North America for the spanner. They have awesome customer service and should be able to help you.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by GetS2pd
I've been having a grinding noise coming from the rear but only during deceleration from 10mph to a complete stop. After finding my brake piston compressing tool (or whatever that funky box is called), I had found that the pistons easily retracted into the caliper. Thanks to Pete and Cory for the heads up on the spindle nut re-torquing. I was only able to torque the nut about 30-degrees more than stock vice the 60-degrees (12 o'clock position of the staked nut to the 2 o'clock) recommended by BillMan.

I just came back from the test drive and the noise is gone. I haven't been driving the S much since I didn't want to do any further damage (if it were a bearing) and because it has been embarrassing to drive around with the grinding noise when approaching stops.

Now all I need is an alignment. I need it real bad. Who should I ask for at Peninsula Honda?
Perry, would I be able to borrow your tools(36mm socket & breaker bar) when I get back from Nevada? I just talked to Billman, and he said I could possibly fix my bearing issue doing the grease & 2 o'clock trick. If that doesn't fix it though, I've got a brand new hub and bearing still chilling at Cory's shop. Is that going on 5 months now, Cory?

I would atleast like to do the fix to my left rear before it starts to make noises like the right rear.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Just made a big FS thread for all my crap. Can't wait to see the comments I get.

Quick Reply: Sova Chat Thread ver. III