Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Sub Install

Old 11-03-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub Install

I have a flush mounted box for my trunk with a 10inch fosgate inside. I am trying this out to see the response I get on here. I was gonna post this on the fb page but i figured otherwise. Anyway, I was thinking about maybe having a few people over my place for the day or afternoon and we could do the install. I'll buy a couple 30's and we'll take our time setting up the sub. I'd have to order the amp and wires but other than that I have everything...except certain tools. I installed my door speakers but I don't know how to fully install the sub and amp properly. I'm sure I could figure it out but it would be more exciting with some S2k companions. PM or post back if any body would be down for this
Old 11-04-2013, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a little bit more to running all the wires for the amp/sub vs. just speakers. You'll have to run a power cable from your battery to the amp, from your radio to the amp to tell the amp to turn on, and then speaker wires (or RCAs depending on your amp) from the radio to the amp, then from the amp to the sub.

The hardest part is just running all the wires from the front of the car to the back of the car and finding a good spot for the amp. I recommend you find one that is relatively small that you can either tuck under one of the seats or above the gas tank next to the spare tire. Don't forget an amp wiring kit, the ones from Walmart will work fine.

As part of the amp kit you should have:

- A way to tap into a battery terminal
- 10-15ft of large diameter wire (1/4" or so)
- Appropriate speaker wire to run from the sub output on your radio to the amp
- Signal feed wire to run from the power on output on your radio to the amp
- Speaker wire to run from the amp to the sub
Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend finding a good fuse block as well. I installed an amp in a truck of mine and made the mistake of not checking clearance on the main wire from the battery to the amp. The insulation wore away and needless to say grounded out against the body of the truck causing a short. The fuse blew and saved a vehicle fire.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 AM

Where are you located? I'd help. Currently just powering speakers off my amps, but I used to install subs on the side. Biggest pain in this car is tucking the wires through, because carpet doesn't move around too well. Mine show slightly...but I also plan on redoing it properly when I get time (Had less than an hour to run everything...speakers included.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by aeonracer
There's a little bit more to running all the wires for the amp/sub vs. just speakers. You'll have to run a power cable from your battery to the amp, from your radio to the amp to tell the amp to turn on, and then speaker wires (or RCAs depending on your amp) from the radio to the amp, then from the amp to the sub.

The hardest part is just running all the wires from the front of the car to the back of the car and finding a good spot for the amp. I recommend you find one that is relatively small that you can either tuck under one of the seats or above the gas tank next to the spare tire. Don't forget an amp wiring kit, the ones from Walmart will work fine.

As part of the amp kit you should have:

- A way to tap into a battery terminal
- 10-15ft of large diameter wire (1/4" or so)
- Appropriate speaker wire to run from the sub output on your radio to the amp
- Signal feed wire to run from the power on output on your radio to the amp
- Speaker wire to run from the amp to the sub
Thanks for all of this info, I think the amp is going where my spare tire is. Definitely going to buy an amp that is small.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mack21
I highly recommend finding a good fuse block as well. I installed an amp in a truck of mine and made the mistake of not checking clearance on the main wire from the battery to the amp. The insulation wore away and needless to say grounded out against the body of the truck causing a short. The fuse blew and saved a vehicle fire.
Very important tip. Thanks man
Old 11-04-2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by thenoxus1
Where are you located? I'd help. Currently just powering speakers off my amps, but I used to install subs on the side. Biggest pain in this car is tucking the wires through, because carpet doesn't move around too well. Mine show slightly...but I also plan on redoing it properly when I get time (Had less than an hour to run everything...speakers included.
That'd be awesome man, I'm In Westminster Md. Since the cars so tiny the showing of the wires wouldn't be to annoying. but then again because it IS so small, it would slowly get more noticeable. I still have to buy an amp and wires
Old 11-12-2013, 01:54 PM

I installed the amp behind my buddies passenger seat, heavy duty velcro, directly behind the seat back, not under it. From there, we ran wire into the sub located where his spare tire was. You probably only need 8 gauge wire, but make sure you dont need something bigger, like 10 or 12. It depends on the amp you are running. Too small a wire will not provide enough amperage to the amp and will not operate properly, or at all. Good luck. It's honestly pretty straight forward, but I've done a lot of them. Its all about the company you have when you do it
Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 AM

We'll definitely do yours tucked. I operated on an hour time and no light haha. I am running a D class AMP above the gas tank. Fits nicely, and doesn't heat because it's digital. My goal with my install was ZERO footprint from the stock space aka no trunk sub that took up the entire in floor area.