Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

When it ra1ns, it pours!

Old 11-24-2003, 01:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What's wrong with this picture(s)?

I was replacing a section in the lower portion of the roof support... it had rotted because the gutter was lower on the east end and the downspout is on the west end! Anyway, I wanted a good piece of wood to anchor my new HD DirecTV dish which is being installed tomorrow morning. Before cutting away the last piece- the support is not solid in this case(1x6 pieces making a box)- I used a solid piece of wood to prop it up until I could place the self pre-fabbed new section in the empty space. After several attempts of wedging the new box in place, all unsuccessful, the remaining 16'-18' support came down on me while standing on a ladder.

I'm ok(just a welt and scrape on the right upper arm), but not sure how long I can go without the end support. One company is coming out tomorrow to estimate my cost to repair/replace. ironic thing is that I had mentioned to Janet earlier that I wondered how much it was going to cost me to have a professional come do the job. Guess we'll know tomorrow! Almost forgot, one week earlier, I replaced the stair railing post and painted all the railing.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about your troubles Skip, but believe in the Eastern Philosophy of Taoism.
Believe in the opposites, three bad lucks in a row = three good later.

That's how I view bad lucks.

At least you don't have any broken bones and are still able to drive you S. I mean, that's what really matters. j/k. Glad you're ok.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

but Skip has something like 27 bad lucks in a row or something right now ... But I guess the Tao-positive is that Skip's gonna be in for a really sweet run of good luck aaaaaaaaaaaaany day now! .

Oh, and Skip...as for your missing support.... Yeah, I think "the look" is nice . Folks are always up for "opening space"...you know, making things less busy? Looks like your attempting that juuuuuuuuuust fine! ... [sorry bud...couldn't resist]

And if its any Karmic consolation, I've repaired 3 stall doors that have now been busted 5 TIMES!!! in the last two weeks by Taska's ever-strengthening Perchron foxhunter . I'm running out of creative supplies to repair what this dingle-berry does to this framing. Think I beat him tho' last night...now I've simply lag-bolted a 4x4 post directly across the horse's stall. Okay...so we can't get him out anymore since it blocks the [busted] door...but then again, he can't (I hope!) get out on his own either .

- Dave
Old 11-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by w1ngman
I'm running out of creative supplies to repair what this dingle-berry does to this framing.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:24 PM

I love "the vision"!
Old 11-24-2003, 06:00 PM

Skip, just an idea...

I think you can rent a huge jack (not sure what it's called) to hold it in place for now.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:13 PM

Hope I didn't jinx you when I said that line over the phone.

In light of what LT said, I can see it now all in succession. (1) You get your Mugen 3 piece painted and installed and it looks great. (2) Said spoiler, with added downforce, prevents you from spinning out on a high speed sweeper. (3)... nevermind...this may not be a good idea.

Seriously though, I'm sure your break is due anytime.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:23 AM

Received 2,666 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Sorry bout that Skip! My ex did something similar. I went out one day and came back and he asked me if I noticed anything different. Well, there were four supports like yours in front of the house and one of them in the middle was missing! Turns out he leaned a ladder up against it and it fell over with him on it. He lucked out and wasn't hurt. What he failed to realize is that those are actually not supports but just for show. Like yours I think...so over it went! Glad you're OK and good luck getting things repaired.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:03 AM

For the little bit of pressure that was put on the column...and for it to come right out like that...there is no appreciable weight being exerted on them. In fact, the roof trusses "A-frame" come all the way out and there is undoubtedly serious structural rigidity designed within the roof itself already.

- Dave
Old 11-25-2003, 06:23 AM

hah, well that stair railing looks sweet

Quick Reply: When it ra1ns, it pours!