Middle East S2000 Owners S2000 Owners from the Middle East and Gulf. Covers: UAE, Saudi, Quatar, Oman, Kuwait, Bharain.

First Drive of the Cayman

Old 04-18-2006, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Drive of the Cayman

Had the test drive earlier at lunch time - here's a few of of my thoughts.

Firstly, the test car I drove was specced very similar to how I'd spec mine.

19" SportDesign Wheels
PASM
Sport Chrono
Sports Steering Wheels
Sports Seats with full leather (black)
Carbon Brakes (I would not have this)
Manual with the shortshift

Probably a few more extras but wasn't worried about those as they didn't affect the driving experience as such. Unfortunately, Dubai at lunch time is not the best scenario for a balls to the wall test drive - I had a combination of heavy traffic, open freeway, point and squirt between roundabouts and the odd open sweeping corner - not a lovely set of country roads.

First impressions on getting in - found a good driving position quickly although I did feel initially that the sports seat were a bit tight across the shoulders and was worried that this might become an issue - as it was the seats became more and more comfortable as the drive progressed until I wasn't even thinking about it. Engine sounded night and throaty on turning the key (clutch depressed) and settled to a nice idle. The bloke showed me all the main controls, made suer I was happy and bid me goodbye with the comment of, 'Bring her back when you like!' Bugger! I would have booked the afternoon off work had I realised and taken it up to the mountains - oh well.

Clutch is slightly heavier than the S2000 but not by much - I reversed out no problems - visibility arguably better than the S with the roof up. In 1st gear and off we go.

At normal pootling about speeds the car felt very nice indeed, lovely ride that I thought was a bit too nice, if that makes sense - instantly PASM went on and I could feel everything firm up a touch but the quality of the ride remained - we have very smooth roads in Dubai and I didn't take it out of PASM for the rest of the drive. Also, sport mode on the chrono package made a significant difference for me. I could instantly feel the throttle response sharpen and I found I was much more at home with this as a standard feel - the only time I came out of it was in heavy stop/start traffic where it was a little jerky.

So where are we? I have the controls and suspension how I like it, let's get noisy!

Very impressed with the linear fashion the power and torque is delivered. Then again, compared to the S2000s peaky delivery that I'm now used to I had expected as much - what I did love was the way that you could make very rapid progress short shifting the car through the gears between 3,000 & 5,000rpm. Made for a very relaxed yet a very quick way of getting about. I also found that the engine was very eager to rev and I often found myself at 7,000rpm hurtling along thinking that the engine would happily keep going for another few thousand revs. The car is probably a little more quiet than the Honda but seems much less so because the sound is more civilised and less raw. So I'm happy with the performance of the engine - it is genuinely quicker than the S by quite a bit especially as the speeds increase - I happily went over 200kph/125mph and the car was pulling very hard indeed.

Steering - This I liked, was light around town but firmed up as the speeds rose and the direction changes started to become faster. I still think that the wheel could have been slightly smaller with a thicker rim - I'd definitely pay the additional for the thicker sports wheel.

Gearbox - sorry, not even close to the S2000s. Even with the shortshift option I felt it was vague, soggy and had long throws. Not much I can do about this - I'm sure in it's own right against many other cars it's a good box but next to the Honda's it's an amateur attempt at a sports car gearbox.

Brakes - Awesome as I'd expect them to be - I'm sure the steel discs will be just as good for the driving I do including the add track day - too expensive an option and I can't justify paying for it.

Handling - I've touched on the ride earlier and that initially I found the feedback from the car a little distant, but the more I pushed the more I felt the communication become clearer. I found the car very easy to balance on the throttle and modulate between slight understeer to a touch of oversteer should I wish or keep it neutral but cornering hard - this car has lots of grip and I mean lots - I had to be barbaric with my inputs to get any sort of major skiddage going on. Powering out of corners was awesome. Get on the gas early and the front tyres just drift a touch to the outside of the corner but the traction is very, very good. I never once felt like the car couldn't deal with what I was doing. Obviously, I wasn't going to take it to the absolute limit as I don't have the experience with the car, it's not mine and I'm on public roads -but still bloody good. never notice the PSM kick in - if it did it was very subtle as I did manage to get the back unstuck a few times and was easily managed.

The car was very quiet at cruising speed and both road and bump noise is extremely well controlled. Cabin felt tight with no squeaks or rattles and this car had been used as the press demonstrator and had been thrashed on the roads and track quite a few times.

Overall - I'm very impressed. There are a few things that I'd prefer. A better gearbox and I'd like the car to be a little more direct with the way that it speaks to you - don't get me wrong, it's still very good however, perhaps I'm used to the S2000 which is a bit more jittery especially the MY03 with 17" rims.

I think I might buy one.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:07 AM

good review and ship me your s2k to Canada
Old 04-19-2006, 10:49 PM

Excellent and very comprehensive review there Asterix - thanks.

I was surprised about your comment about the gear box though - have heard that it is 'one of the best' out there, but it is nice to have an objective review.

All I can say is - go for it! It is a gorgeous and, it seems, very capable car, so if you can - do!

Does this mean that both the Jeep and S will go? Will it be your daily driver?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:10 AM

Yeah, both the Jeep and the Honda would go.

I bought both at a combined price of about AED 230k, which is exactly what the Cayman would cost - also because of the 6 month lead time, I can save up more cash and finance less than I currently have at the moment.

I have a few other commitments to look after at the moment but when they are clear I'm considering it.

It is a stunning car.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:58 AM

So where's the secret test drive route?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:30 AM

I did my commute to work (Oud Metha to DMC), which took in stop/start stuff and the Al Khail (sp) road - this is where I did the high speed stuff and the high speed roundabouts which are great as some are nice and flat others have off camber exits, then I did the road behind the Emirates Towers then down towards the Ras Al Khor wildlife sanctury/creek bit - then into Zabeel as they have a number of nice empty roundabouts that I went round 3 times each - back onto the SZR via that lovely tunnel next to the Emirates Towers and then back again.

Took about an hour
Old 04-20-2006, 08:30 AM

good luck on your purchase bro
Old 04-24-2006, 06:27 AM

nice...I'm lovin the new tunnels going into DIC/DMC these days...not much margin for error though
Old 04-24-2006, 06:28 AM

can;t go wrong with a cayman IMHO, good luck with it
Old 04-24-2006, 03:43 PM

Wow! Nice review.....

I'm thinking of getting the Audi A8, get it and review it. We will be happy to read ur reviews..

Quick Reply: First Drive of the Cayman