MidWest S2000 Club Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota

Moving over from So-Cal to KC

Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving over from So-Cal to KC

There's a very high likelihood that I'll be moving to Kansas City next year for med school and I wanted to ask if it'd be worthwhile to bring my s2k over. If I can drive it for at least most of the year that would be great, but I don't know how harsh the winters are over there. I've been checking the weather every so often on my iphone and it doesn't seem too bad so far.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:41 PM

There are like 3 months that you might not want to drive it. Honestly, at most 15 days a year that you wont be able drive it. I daily drive mine and I just have a set of winter tires that I throw on it from November till March and I get along fine. Bring it for sure.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:19 PM

I dont mean to thread jack Megathunder, but i kinda was wondering the same thing as I might be moving to KC, MO in the future..My other ? is what exactly the import scene like there? I'm from Milwaukee and the import scene is HUGE here on a daily basis. Cruising spots? Meeting places?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:04 AM

@abnormal: No problem dude, I'm interested in the same things.

@Gamble: So you're saying three winter months that are less than ideal but only ~15 days that are impossible to drive in? That doesn't sound too bad I guess. Would driving in the three bad months cause damage to the S? I'll definitely throw on the winter tires (aka snow tires, right?) but will I be risking salt damage or whatever by driving those months?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my S for almost 5 years in Kansas City and I drive my car almost every day. It's just like going to school, there may be one or two snow days, but it's drivable almost every day. You need all season tires though, using summer tires in the winter here is an accident waiting to happen.

If you live in an area where there is an incline to get to your apartment or you have a drive way... you may want to think about a set of winter wheels with blizzak tires on them. We get a good amount of ice and I'm thinking this is going to be a good amount of rain/ice/snow this winter.

I would also suggest having a place with a garage. The summers are hot and winters are cold and sometimes snowy. Having a place to store your car out of the elements is a huge plus.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by megathunder,Nov 27 2010, 04:04 AM
@abnormal: No problem dude, I'm interested in the same things.

@Gamble: So you're saying three winter months that are less than ideal but only ~15 days that are impossible to drive in? That doesn't sound too bad I guess. Would driving in the three bad months cause damage to the S? I'll definitely throw on the winter tires (aka snow tires, right?) but will I be risking salt damage or whatever by driving those months?
Kyle also lives in the boonies! haha No offense Kyle, but it's probably much more easy to get around in the city and suburbs than out in Louisburg. They usually clear the roads and salt them quicker on this side of town.

You will want to remember to wash under your car to get the salt off, forgot that part!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:08 AM

What about my question? Import scene, cruising spots, weekly meeting places?
Old 11-27-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by megathunder,Nov 27 2010, 12:37 AM
There's a very high likelihood that I'll be moving to Kansas City next year for med school and I wanted to ask if it'd be worthwhile to bring my s2k over. If I can drive it for at least most of the year that would be great, but I don't know how harsh the winters are over there. I've been checking the weather every so often on my iphone and it doesn't seem too bad so far.
In my younger years I drove my Camaro's, Vette, TransAm and (2) wheel drive truck all year long. As long as you have decent tires you will be fine. Typiccly we run a set of winter wheels and summer wheels so you don't have to run on a set of all season tires all summer and vise versa.

It is funny to hear you say Harsh winters, I have a buddy that lives in Phillips Ranch and he tells me the same thing. We do get colder temperatures and some snow but it is nothing like Chicago, New York and some of the other big cities you see on TV.

So to answer your question, yes you can drive the car around most of the year. The only other recomendation I would offer is to get a factory hardtop if you don't already have one.

What exactly the import scene like there?
More like domestic scene, they are still the number one choice. Of course there are a lot of kids driving around in Civics but the town is primairly domestic cars.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:55 PM

Got it, thanks everyone for the responses. G'damn is that reassuring, I was contemplating selling my S for a subbie or something!

I can't afford the hardtop or a set of separate winter wheels (don't have the place to keep them either), and parking will be out in the open because they only have a small lot out in front of the building so I'll probably just have to drive carefully when there's ice and invest in a car cover for when it's bad.

Also, KCUMB is in a pretty bad location (Independence Ave) but the parking lot is fenced in. So I hope I won't have to worry about it getting stolen or vandalized...
Old 11-27-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by megathunder,Nov 27 2010, 09:55 PM
Got it, thanks everyone for the responses. G'damn is that reassuring, I was contemplating selling my S for a subbie or something!

I can't afford the hardtop or a set of separate winter wheels (don't have the place to keep them either), and parking will be out in the open because they only have a small lot out in front of the building so I'll probably just have to drive carefully when there's ice and invest in a car cover for when it's bad.

Also, KCUMB is in a pretty bad location (Independence Ave) but the parking lot is fenced in. So I hope I won't have to worry about it getting stolen or vandalized...
Get a Subaru!

Seriously, I drove my S for 4 years as a daily and only needed a ride like 5 times a year.

Patrick
GSM - Lee's Summit Subaru

Quick Reply: Moving over from So-Cal to KC