Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Bought 4 Yankee tickets for $1,600.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to tonight's game (got a ticket for $200.) With my profits, I'm staying @ the Omni Berkshire Place in midtown for free. Didn't trust the valets with my S2000, so I took the Acela from Providence. Now I'm going out on the town.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by martha,Sep 15 2008, 12:30 PM
Is it just me, or does the poster need to buy some punctuation for that "statement" to be understandable?
Just you.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by tapout2000,Sep 15 2008, 12:58 PM

Spelling and Grammar Nazis are really should only really criticize people who severely need that help. Much less people who aren't even in the wrong.
What?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by sahtt,Sep 22 2008, 08:10 PM
Just you.
Thanks, I trust your opinion, though I've never thought of myself as a spelling and grammar Nazi.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:57 AM

If you were out of diapers yet, you'd have some basis of historical reasoning of why there is absolutely nothing funny about that picture. As for the grammar and spelling, I just hope your chosen profession doesn't require you to communicate with anyone with more than a 6th grade education. Now, why don't we just agree that I don't speak your generation's hip slang and you don't write in properly punctuated concise sentences. Then we can drop this whole b.s.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by martha,Sep 23 2008, 08:57 AM
If you were out of diapers yet, you'd have some basis of historical reasoning of why there is absolutely nothing funny about that picture. As for the grammar and spelling, I just hope your chosen profession doesn't require you to communicate with anyone with more than a 6th grade education. Now, why don't we just agree that I don't speak your generation's hip slang and you don't write in properly punctuated concise sentences. Then we can drop this whole b.s.
Just a little FYI. I'm a married 28 year old financial planner that works for a major bank on the east coast. I graduated from the University of Missouri with above a 3.0 and pay my taxes every year.

By no stretch of the imagination am I neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins but I am not the trash you try to critique me to be.

But please, do me a favor and correct the sentence for me so I can learn my lesson that I really need to use proper capitalization, commas, periods and other severly important general sentence structure items WHEN I POST ON AN INTERNET FORUM.

Here's what I originally posted just so you can do your magic:
"I'm going to Ebay some postseason tickets for the rays off to yankees fans. lol "

My first suggestion to you is that you learn that the internet forums are not like churchs. They are much less serious and informal. Once you get past that you might have some fun. Good luck Martha.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 AM

If you think anything about the Nazi movement or Adolf Hitler was "fun" then that is your prerogative. I would venture that most people find it incredibly offensive.

And that concludes the amount of time I am willing to waste with you. Enjoy yourself.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:17 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmm. I found it perfectly understandable. The only change I'd be bother to make is omit the word "off" because it's working as part of the verb "to Ebay off" (ie, "to auction off") and wrapping it around "some postseason tickets for the rays" makes it look like "off" has something to do with "rays" which, yeah, is confusing.

martha, yeah, I think it's mostly you with the issue understanding the sentence. Except for the "off" thing which is easily worked around, I think it might actually proper grammer ABOVE 6th grade reading level because it's such a complex sentence. The only punctualization my computer-science trained mind would like to see is some parentheses to make it absolutely clear which words are modifying which, because English can be messy. Remember "old english teacher"?

"I'm going to Ebay (some postseason tickets [for the rays] to yankees fans)."

But that's not proper English.

Basically, Ebay(a,b) is a function with two parameters - and object and a buyer. Similar to saying "I will Ebay books to libraries." To get more complex, we can say something like "I will Ebay old books with leather bindings to book collectors in Boston." Etc. etc.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:41 AM

I think we've had enough fun here for one lifetime.