Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Is Citi becoming too large / exposed?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisjgiuliano,Oct 6 2008, 04:27 PM
I'm just trying to comprehend what is happening right now. I am very young (23 a few months ago) and have been trying to stash as much away as I can now. I have been maxing out my Roth at work to get the company match and have been trying to put between $300-$500 a month into the market. It is just depressing to diligently save and invest only to watch it disappear (on paper at least.) I am past the point of selling and am now trying to buy more than ever. Just trying to pinpoint some good values while everyone else is running away. I do appreciate all of your advice; I'm sure most of you have been doing this much longer than I have.
Markets work great for people who have long time horizons to invest with....they are absolute crap for people with short time horizons.

I couldn't imagine trying to be a trader in this environment.....but for a long term investor...the environment only dictates how large your contributions and what funds to route those contributions should be. If you are going to be in the market for a long time...20-30 yrs....up the contributions now....and keep investing the whole way down and up from this bottom. Diversify your holdings...and keep going aggressive. The more it falls.....the more aggressive you get in the holdings that will do well long term.

I am invested heavily in energy, medical, and will begin to get more heavily into metals (they are getting hit hard). These don't go out of style or fashion. I will soon be accumulating financials once the hard times pass us.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The entire financial sector is toxic. Be afraid.

There is a long way don to go. Nobody is talking about all those completely black back room derivatives these banks were better the farm on. CDS anyone? These are like call options on CDOs the banks sold as insurance against them. That's $50T worth of nuclear waste right there.

Subprime is just the stuff we know about. Is citi worth $17/share? The only good thing about financial stocks is they stop at $0

If you must have a bank then get WFC or USB. Everything else has AIDS.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lOOkatme,Oct 6 2008, 09:10 PM
I am invested heavily in energy, medical, and will begin to get more heavily into metals (they are getting hit hard). These don't go out of style or fashion. I will soon be accumulating financials once the hard times pass us.
You should be following the smart money to government bonds. There is a reason money is flowing out of the market and if you think this is a one week or one month vacation from letting the good times roll you will soon be departing with you money.

My money is in cash earning 3.5%. How is yours doing?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going to sit on the sidelines of the financials right now. I don't know enough about them to gamble. I'll just keep accumulating shares of Frontline, collect the great divi, and reinvest it. Thanks to all for all of your insight :-)