Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Computers

Old 09-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jclam,

How much money did you make for your 2 weeks?

The whole point is that Dell can make money building PCs, you cannot. This is money and Investing and the point here is to make money. If you want to do it for free then this maybe the wrong forum for you.

You CAN build a PC with semi-retail parts for less than you can buy the same price as the same machine from Dell. What you can't do is build a PC and sell it for a profit for the same price as Dell.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's harder then you think. Building the computers is the easy part. You haven't bought a building yet, hired employees, paid corporate taxes, paid for marketing, paid for sales guys, paid for tech support, the list goes on. Just because you can do it all yourself doesn't mean you will once you have more then a hand full of customers. DELL used to do exactly what you are considering. Micheal built computers in the same dorm I lived in my freshman year of college, about the same age as you. But after those pesky and very resourceful asians figured it out years later his company almost went bankrupt. In china it's popular to go to the tech malls and buy custom built computers for 300-400US, with similar specs you just mentioned. Otherwise in the U.S. the market is slim w/ no tech support/returns/etc.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by jclamor87,Sep 8 2008, 11:02 AM
computers, would you do it
No way, not a chance, not in a million years, niet, etc...

Originally Posted by jclamor87,Sep 8 2008, 11:02 AM
but the 1990's was a good time to build and sell computers.
that's all you need to know, right there

If you want to make $50 here and there, sure, go for it man. If you are considering this as a real business, please, do not spend another minute thinking about it. There are many instances in life where one can say "go for it" and have a true chance to succeed. However, this ain't one of them pal. Ever heard of Gateway? Going down the tubes. Compaq? Bought out when they were slipping. Computers is an insanely competitive business, and the economy of scale factor erases your ability to exist and grow. The overhead required to really make money is very large, and you do not have it.

Put the same effort and time into something with more promise and you will get somewhere.

And do tell, what did you make off your "friend" on that 10 computer deal?? Honest
Old 09-09-2008, 04:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with pretty much all of the above, with one possible exception where it may be possible to make a profit...

High end gaming/rendering pc's. This is probably one of the only places where the difference in price per part for an individual consumer versus a retail chain is still low enough that you can turn a decent profit. Also the higher price range of the computers in general allows you to make a higher dollar/hour rate.

Of course the draw back is in the high cost of overhead as well as the difficult consumer market. A majority of users considering a $6k gaming rig, or rendering station would most likely have the skill and drive to build their own rig. However there are still a few of those "rich kids" around who don't want to deal with building their own and don't mind paying to play.

As far as low end work machines... yes you can turn a profit, as long as you don't specify any support, but the chances of making enough to live off of are extremely slim. This is an idea best kept as a side gig that you do for a few bucks here and there when you find a need and see quality parts on excellent sales.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the above posters who mentioned economies of scale. Dell and apple etc, are all off and running with their companies and everyone already knows their brand.

I thought about this too but I would probably want to do it in my spare time for people who knows me. Get them a good deal on a better computer than a lower end Dell. of course if they have problems they'll come to you and my guess is they wont pay you because you know them personally. But do it to make a little cash on the side and for the experience, and to help your friends/family
Old 09-12-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Sep 8 2008, 01:53 PM
Back in the 1990s, it used to be that you could save hundreds of dollars buying components and assembling your own PC.

/thread

Computers are dirt cheap these days. They are like $500 with an OS, 19" LCD and 24 hr tech support. Computers are no longer repairable as it's just as easy and economical to buy a new one.

New computer for $500 and use it for a year, then donate it to a school for a tax receipt and buy a new one for $500
Old 09-12-2008, 02:46 PM

A friend of mine introduced me to one of his friends that owned a computer shop.

We talked for a while about the business. The business has been running for 6 years, and holding its own as far as profit. He has a large amount of clientel that keeps him going to the right direction. My only worry is that the success of the business was really slow and time consuming.

After all considiration i decided to scratch this idea and just keep fixing computers and laptops to the side until i come accross an idea worth putting money into.

Thanks to all the feedbacks and opinion to the matter

Jason