Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

how long would it take to build up some credit?

Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who said i didnt have a steady income....? i DO have a job... a very decent one.

and like i said already ive tried at my bank already to get a credit card and theyve said no, and also how would having a credit card but not using it build up credit?

the problem is not that i cant afford the s2k, the problem is the credit, i make about 2k a month which i think is pretty decent for someone my age, i think it would actually be easier if i just save up, buy the s2k cash and keep making payments on the miata and have both cars.... i can easily save up around 17k in a year...

ive always wanted the s2k but nobody would loan it to me so i settled for the next best cheapest thing, and at the time i needed a car asap.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:07 AM

its hard to give advice to someone who is about to dig and early grave.. But i guess i have to try

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO BUY AN S2K AND KEEP THE MIATA? What difference does it make driving a miata vs an s2k. You're committing financial suicide by doing so. Listen to everyone and just pay off that miata.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mean any disrespect but at 18 you don't have a steady job or a good one. You view it differently than I do and your bank manager does. The job you have right now you will likely not have 6 months from now. That's not steady.

You see things differently than others do, that's what I'm telling you in understanding why you can't get financing. As far as the bank goes you're a kid who doesn't have a clue what you plan to do with your life and are more likely than not to just not bother showing up for work one day.

Go to college.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:20 AM

its funny how people judge you without knowing so much about you. ive been working at my current job for 3 yrs and i will start attending college in late november, and all of those financial issues regarding college have already been taken care of.

and what do you know about to tell me that i will likely not have my job in 6 months? ive have 1 job my entire life and have worked my way up to the position i am now where i get to boss around people 20 years older than me.

and who are you to tell me i have no clue about what i plan to do with my life? i understand constructive criticism but the way you have personally degraded and stereotyped me is just below the belt.

im done with this thread. thanks for everyone who tried to help. i dont need to prove myself to anybody over the internet.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 AM

^ people judge you based on their first impression of you.

NO disrespect to you

BUT THERE IS NO JOB for an 18year old right now that is guaranteed.
you may own a business, but how do you know it won't fail the next day, month, year?

you may work for somebody, but how do you that they won't lay you off, fire you, or they might close the business, business dies?

Your financial decisions told us that you do not know what the hell to do to manage your money and thus do not know what it takes to build credit.

People stereotype, people degrade other, people judge all base on first impression. Most stereotype tend to hold.

You came in here asking for advise, we give them to you base on the subject matter. You didn't like the response and responded in a manner that most 18year old would do.

We're not telling you what to do, we're suggesting/advising/tipping you on what you can do to build up your credit, how not to commit financial suicide.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 AM

Here's something to think about mr $2000 bucks a month baller.

Do you think it's a smart idea to own two cars while they both are being financed at probably 6-8% each year.

Have you ever sat down and thought about how much insurance would cost for two cars under your name at 18?

Have you ever thought about wear and tear on the car how much it would cost each year?

I'm not being a dick but you sound so much like my friend who i told him not to buy things that you can't afford with a credit card. Guess what? He sounded so much like you. blah blah I make $XXXX amount of money and guess what happen to him next? He's in a $35,000 debt hole with his credit card company.

Were trying to help you and please don't think were hating on you because you want a S2000 at 18. I was 20 when I got my 03 S2000 Brand new paid off and it's not cheap owing a S2000.

BTW $24,000 a year income isn't that great @ your age when your paying a arm and leg for your insurance.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 AM

what difference does it make that im 18? if a 35 year old worked for somebody they can also be layed off/fired. their business if they own one can also fail. whats the difference?

and comments like "go to college" are just really ignorant. and i dont see how that is not 'telling me what to do'

now i understand that yes im going to have to pay off the miata and save up for the s2k, that part i get.

but how is telling me that i have no clue what i want to do with my life any help? wouldnt asking me if i was going to college make more sense instead of just making a comment saying 'go to college'?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:36 AM

^read your pm and get back to me
Old 11-02-2007, 12:38 AM

3 years and you think your guaranteed for the rest of your life? Wow I wonder why guys I know that's being working for there company 15-25 years get laid off or fired?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:40 AM

pearlwhite: if you wouldve read correctly i said in a year i could buy an s2k cash, no financing, so i dont know where you got the idea of financing 2 cars....

and again i do not have a credit card so im not like your buddy because im not going to be 35,000 in debt.

and by calling me names like 2000 a month baller, is just showing me that s2k owners are rich snobby cocky dicks who think everybody younger than them and anybody that makes less money than them is just like every other person and is pretty much a failure and a dumbass. sorry to be getting like this but this has gotten me really upset how you guys would treat somebody looking for financial help, by attacking them, telling me to go to college and that i dont make shit $ wise.

Quick Reply: how long would it take to build up some credit?