Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Learning about investing money...?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning about investing money...?

Well, I've spoken to a lot of rich people and most of them have told me "dont work for your money, let your money work for you." With that been said, I want to invest. Im not familiar with anything about investing tho...
I am a heck of a sales person tho..
I just need to learn what all those numbers mean.
Everytime I see that on T.V where all these guys are screaming and all, I've found it to be very weird...lol

At the moment I am unemployed(I had a bike accident wich cause me to be in the house for a little over a year) and now, I am trying to become a Service Advisor for a dealer. Pay is good and its what I am good at.

Anyways, back on topic. I want to take out a $35,000 loan and invest about $10,000, I just dont know what/where to start the whole process.....? My credit is the only thing that has saved me. Economy is not very good, as most of you should know what I am talking about.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't know what you're doing, but you're going to take out a loan to start your investment portfolio. Sounds like you're off to a stellar start!

</sarcasm>

Try the sticky threads at the top of this forum to get an idea of some good places to start.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Sep 15 2008, 11:08 AM
You don't know what you're doing, but you're going to take out a loan to start your investment portfolio. Sounds like you're off to a stellar start!

</sarcasm>

Try the sticky threads at the top of this forum to get an idea of some good places to start.
Im not just taking out the loan to invest it all! I'd only be investing $10,000 and the rest is to pay debt.....!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:16 AM

You're taking on debt to pay other debt?

<-- So confused.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:29 AM

lol... don't give him a hard time.

investing is tough... borrowing money to invest is tougher because you not only need to break even to be profitable, but you need to break even above the interest rate of your borrowed money.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 AM

I personally would work at getting your debt down. Breaking even in this market is hard enough, let alone trying to outpace the interest on your loan. Work for now, save money, pay off your debt. when you have 10k of your own money we can start talking.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best thing you can do for yourself is forget about loans, pay down your debt as quickly as possible.

Many people take out debt consolidation loans, then re-up their old credit cards, ending up w/ even more debt. You really need to have the discipline not to tap available credit lines as they're paid off (closing them helps to reduce that temptation, but hurts your credit score).

As long as you have non-deductible debt, paying it off provides a RISK-FREE return of your interest rate / (1 - your marginal tax rate). Seriously, you can't come close to touching that kind of risk-adjusted return in the market.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 PM

Please listen to chris. Otherwise you will move from the "money and investing" forum to the "bankruptcy 101" forum.

Just as an aside, borrowing money to invest in the stock market was a main contributor to almost every economic collapse in the last 100 years.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Sep 15 2008, 02:08 PM
As long as you have non-deductible debt, paying it off provides a RISK-FREE return of your interest rate / (1 - your marginal tax rate).
I'm not quite following that formula. Can you explain it to me?

According to this, if you have a 10% credit card and your marginal tax rate is 20%, then you're getting 12.5% gains on your balance just by paying it off => [[ 0.10/(1 - 0.20) ]]. Is that what you're saying?

I get the 10% bit obviously because you're not paying that money to the lender, but where is the other 2.5% coming from?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Sep 15 2008, 12:08 PM
The best thing you can do for yourself is forget about loans, pay down your debt as quickly as possible.

Many people take out debt consolidation loans, then re-up their old credit cards, ending up w/ even more debt. You really need to have the discipline not to tap available credit lines as they're paid off (closing them helps to reduce that temptation, but hurts your credit score).

As long as you have non-deductible debt, paying it off provides a RISK-FREE return of your interest rate / (1 - your marginal tax rate). Seriously, you can't come close to touching that kind of risk-adjusted return in the market.
Ok, too educated for me...lol And I owe about $11,000 in credit cards.. And credit cards have higher interest than loans(my credit card has an 11% interest. Is not good but its certainly not bad.) I'd pay off the credit cards and invest some money.. What sha think?

Quick Reply: Learning about investing money...?