Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

low risk and diversified

Old 07-23-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therookie,Jul 23 2009, 12:00 PM
43, really? you must have alot of free time to stay on top of your holdings.
Nope. I'm mostly a buy and hold guy.

I almost never buy anything I wouldn't consider holding for 5 yrs+. But every once in a while I will pick something up as an intentional short-term play. Or I may pick something up that I intended as a long-term keeper, but shortly thereafter I see something that makes me change my mind.

Andrew
Old 07-23-2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Jul 23 2009, 10:25 AM
If you want stock diversification and relatively low risk, put all $20,000 in an S&P 500 index fund (e.g. SPY).

It's difficult to build a diversified portfolio with only a handful of stocks. There are currently 43 different stock holdings in my portfolio, and I am no where near diversified from an overall market perspective. But I am fairly diversified in technology and financials, the 2 main areas I focus on.

Andrew
ill do some reading on your suggestion. thanks for the input guys
Old 07-23-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Call this guy:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQqwS8WDjCY [/media]
Old 07-23-2009, 01:44 PM
kix

I reworked my portfolio at the start of the year and only have 2 medium-low risk stocks at the moment. I would suggest adding utilities and health in your portfolio. UNH and T has been very good to me so far.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 PM

You need to keep reading. Those are NOT low risk stocks, my guess is you don't understand what risk is yet. I trade securities for a living intraday so I maintain a fairly conservative long term personal portfolio.

When*********************** you buy is just as important as what you buy, perhaps more important in these times. I was holding AAPL for several years but most of the shares I bought under 100 are already sold, most before earnings a few days back.

Low risk is something KMP or ATVI at the current time. Buying KMP or BP as income source when they are at troughs is fairly low risk. ATVI is a couple points off its recent high with a strong balance sheet and strong cash flow but no dividend. You can have a diversified portfolio with less than 10 holdings.

If the market crashes, your stocks are going to crash right along with it. Do not go all in after the largest run up in 10+ years (today marks that).
Old 07-27-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by SSM*03*S2K,Jul 23 2009, 06:46 AM
i would like to buy 25 stocks but i only have 20k to play with at the moment and want to put 4k in 5 different stocks. the stocks i hold onto now arent part of what i want to do with this money. i could incorporate them in what i want to accomplish however. i bought C on a whim when it was around 2.50.
I heard that C might be if not is getting nationalized.. whats gonna happen to the stock if or when it does get nationalized?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by iRkennethMe,Jul 27 2009, 05:06 PM
I heard that C might be if not is getting nationalized.. whats gonna happen to the stock if or when it does get nationalized?
Stick to something you know because you don't know much about C.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 AM

my recommendation to achieve good diversification in these cases:

if you dont have enough capital, time, or experience. you should buy in an Index fund, and keep on buying when you can add more money to the portfolio.

also there must be a fair percentage of your portfolio out of the equty market, somthing like T bills, or a money market fund, somthing that is liquid and with very low risk.

and if you want, you can put a small amount in a few stocks that you think they'll outperform the market

an example of a well diversified pretty Agressive portfolio:

60% index fund 10% selected stocks and 30% cash and fixed income.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=suzukablueS2000,Aug 2 2009, 09:19 AM] my recommendation to achieve good diversification in these cases:

if you dont have enough capital, time, or experience. you should buy in an Index fund, and keep on buying when you can add more money to the portfolio.

also there must be a fair percentage of your portfolio out of the equty market, somthing like T bills, or a money market fund, somthing that is liquid and with very low risk.

and if you want, you can put a small amount in a few stocks that you think they'll outperform the market

an example of a well diversified pretty Agressive portfolio:

60% index fund
Old 08-02-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Harpoon,Aug 2 2009, 05:47 PM
And you'll underperform the index fund by 2-6% per year.
More than likely, however, with lower risk.

Quick Reply: low risk and diversified