Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Someone said don't own US stocks b/c the economy

Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is getting way OT

GP you are over paranoid man, seriously. guns, ammo, army green vehicles? time for you to move out of the US and to a remote island and hoard your gold bullion

China, Japan, all those countries HEAVILY depend on the US and its consumers to continue to sustain/grow themselves. If the US tanks, we are taking A LOT of people with us. I don't see that happening. A recession? Maybe. Too many idiots got stupid loans and spent way too much money. You are talking Armageddon here man, a little too far down the road.

If you are going to quote and print examples, please show me some recent material you have read. I don't want quotes from a russian book from 1984. A whole lot has happened since 1984 bro. Might even be the year you were born.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is some good food for thought on the current state of our dollar. http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/co...6/cr021506.htm

Disregard the author is you don't agree with him

It gives a good history lesson on our dollar, the current relationship with trade partners and oil producing countries, and a look into the future.

It states that the astounding benefits from our system are obvious. The point being made is that it is unsustainable over the long term. As long as foreign recipients take our dollars for real goods and are willing to finance our extravagant consumption and militarism, the status quo will continue regardless of how huge our foreign debt and current account deficit become. But when will the day come when our dollar is no longer accepted as the world's reserve currency?

certainly ain't happening in 2009, but this experiment really only gained steam 36 years ago..
Old 01-25-2008, 05:00 PM

Here is another viewpoint.

At some point the world's carrying capacity of humans will be overshot. If one of thousands of NEEDS are not met.....billions possibly human existance could be at stake. That could mean anything in our ecosystem, food, water, energy, etc.

I see more natural constraints in our way of living that would need to stop industrialization........because in the end....the industrial revulotion will have to end....because we will run out of resources which are all finite. water, land, etc. Technology only raises the carrying capacity to make the problem worse off in the end. The only way I could see this not playing out poorly is if humans can migrate to other planets.....but that means we would need to travel faster than the speed of light......which is impossible in theory. Because our planets don't have the resources like earth does in our solar system. We would need to travel many billions of times that speed of light to get anywhere.....maybe even a googolplex times the speed of light...because we could be chasing dead stars by the time we get there....or get engulfed in a black hole....or hit dark matter or something else.

Physical constraints like peak oil, peak fishery, peak land, decreasing top soil per person, global warming concern me more than fiscal policy or a stock market.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by SD_S2K,Jan 22 2008, 01:30 PM
this is getting way OT

GP you are over paranoid man, seriously. guns, ammo, army green vehicles? time for you to move out of the US and to a remote island and hoard your gold bullion

China, Japan, all those countries HEAVILY depend on the US and its consumers to continue to sustain/grow themselves. If the US tanks, we are taking A LOT of people with us. I don't see that happening. A recession? Maybe. Too many idiots got stupid loans and spent way too much money. You are talking Armageddon here man, a little too far down the road.

If you are going to quote and print examples, please show me some recent material you have read. I don't want quotes from a russian book from 1984. A whole lot has happened since 1984 bro. Might even be the year you were born.
Again, OT, but in the vein of what's being said here. Disclosure up front -- I'm an atheist so I found this especially "interesting" (word used to try to keep from insulting anyone). A recent Gallup poll stated that 44% of the American population is convinced that Jesus will return to judge the living and the dead sometime in the next fifty years . While I find the idea laughable, it will solve the problem for those of you believe such things. I suppose this will be your armageddon.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:45 AM

Read the book

"Limits to growth" the rome club

that should sum things up.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jan 21 2008, 02:55 PM
That's some funny shit right there.
Still think its funny? This ain't fun and games son.

Look no further than our elected officials....corrupt to the core, leading us straight into the gutter. But you are right....move along, there is nothing to see here. Price of oil? Food? How is your home value these days?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:00 AM

Received 402 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GPMike,Jun 21 2008, 01:57 PM
Still think its funny? This ain't fun and games son.

Look no further than our elected officials....corrupt to the core, leading us straight into the gutter. But you are right....move along, there is nothing to see here. Price of oil? Food? How is your home value these days?
I'm not worried. If I remember correctly, we're still about 3,000 away from the 9,000 your buddy predicted. I'm 20+ years from retirement and still putting several thousand into retirement every month. I don't mind that it's dropping because I'm getting it cheaper.

There were some systemic issues and I'm glad it's being purged out now. As the economy becomes more global, there are going to be opportunities for growth and expansion the world has never seen.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GPMike,Jan 21 2008, 11:44 PM
Thank you. I'd like to think I paid attention whilst studying for my degree in economics as an undergrad.

People think the prosperity lasts forever. It doesn't....especially when you squander the opportunities given to you. DOW 9000 this year. I said it a month or two ago. Any takers? I'll bet a juicy steak. I just hope you'll be able to afford it after you have to pay up.

The world we live ain't pretty fellas...the quicker you realize this...the better off you'll be in the long run. You will see a Great Depression in your lifetime. I don't like saying it, I just live in reality.
/bump for good measure.

Am I laughing? Hell no. Am I right? Hell yes. Hang on people its going to get worse. Guns and butter....guns and butter.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:08 PM

GPMike, your banal gloating and boastfulness would have been more timely yesterday evening.

Andrew
Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Agreed. The US government has decided to stop regulating the market and become a participant instead essentially changing the rules of the game. What you thought in January no longer applies. You need to keep up with the news.

Quick Reply: Someone said don't own US stocks b/c the economy