Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

At what point should I hand off my money?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Feb 19 2007, 09:18 AM
In terms of sector diversification there is very little wrong with this portfolio. You might be a little too levered to the real estate market but nothing to panic about. 40% foreign content is not a bad idea considering the slow but steady growth of the US economy compared with the rest of the world and the Fed's insistence that GDP growth remain at about 2%.

Overall I'd say it looks good
Thanks for the props. It's interesting that the financial advisor to whom I had given the portfolio originally was utterly uncomfortable with the allocation ("Do you realize that you have almost 60% in foreign equities?" "Yes, but if I lived in Europe they'd be domestic equities.") and required me to sign a statement accepting all the responsibility/risk for my portfolio. Sigh.

Originally Posted by tommyo,Feb 19 2007, 08:14 AM
Is your portfolio set up where you are diversified across both portfolios? In other words they are not designed as stand alone portfolios.
They're designed as stand-alone portfolios because I cannot move money between them. Furthermore, they have no securities in common, so the analyses are separate.

You'll note that the smaller account is the one in which I chose to be more aggressive.

When you say volatility/risk is that what you believe is the worst case loss in a market downturn?
Volatility/Risk is the standard deviation of monthly returns over the last five years. I could use lower semivariance as a risk measure, or semivariance below a target rate of, say, 2% (see cthree's discussion of inflation/GDP growth, above), if I wanted to limit downside risk specifically; however, the historical returns on these portfolios have been fairly close to symmetric, so the differences in optimal allocations using different risk measures is minimal.

How many years do you have until you plan to draw against these accounts?
Fifteen to twenty.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by magician,Feb 19 2007, 12:55 PM
required me to sign a statement accepting all the responsibility/risk for my portfolio.
That's rich! What sort of portfolio would you need to have where the FA would accept all risk and responsibility?

I'm guessing the disclaimer is a standard disclosure that everyone has to sign whether they be in 100% treasury bonds or 100% Indonesian penny stocks.