Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Would like some tips from veteran property investors

Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Thanks, I will have to check them out! I am 30 now and have been "working for the man" for 9 years and am getting tired of it. I cannot imagine another 35 years, so I am looking for ways to increase my financial education and knowledge. I listened to his "Conspiracy of the Rich" book and it was eye-opening. I was raised in a conservative mentality of "No debt, save your money, and invest in a well diversified portfolio."

If I may ask, what is a good starting point for someone wanting to get into investment property? When you have owner financing, do you still get > 80% of the property financed, or do you build a partnership? Do you present a business case/proposal and do the research and get a percentage of the income?

Do you use property management companies for all your properties?
To create an owner financing deal does require a lot of marketing to motivated sellers. It's not an easy thing, but it's doable. You can create whatever you and the seller agree to. My down-payments have been either nothing, or $2k-$3k. Sometimes you can even do 0% interest financing. It's not as complicated as a business proposal, you simply make friends with the owner and talk in very basic terms "How much per month would you like to receive?" You don't want to talk "loan" "financing" and all those fancy terms, talk to them at a very basic level so they dont get overwhelmed with legal jargon.

A good starting point is joining your local REIA.

I manage everything myself, it's cheaper and not that time consuming. A management company would take 8% of my gross rents, probably have higher vacancy since they aren't quite as hands on, and their maintenance people would probably be more expensive than mine. 30 is a great time to start, get movin!!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I thought you meant an owner-buyer, similar to a venture capitalist to invest with you. So you are saying contact the seller. What is their advantage of the 0% interest financing? Just the fact that they found a buyer to offload the property?

Thank you I will look into attending some REIA meetings. According to my search, the Washington DC REIA was voted #1, so that's a good start Gotta get some cash flow going ASAP!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Ok, I thought you meant an owner-buyer, similar to a venture capitalist to invest with you. So you are saying contact the seller. What is their advantage of the 0% interest financing? Just the fact that they found a buyer to offload the property?

Thank you I will look into attending some REIA meetings. According to my search, the Washington DC REIA was voted #1, so that's a good start Gotta get some cash flow going ASAP!
Long story short, it doesn't matter what their advantage is. Stop thinking logically. Understand their needs to propose what solves their problems. If interest rate never comes up, then it never comes up. Often and owner will agree to a sales price at XXX monthly payment until paid, and that's it. Only talk interest rate if they do.

The key is identifying a pool of motivated sellers (not MLS listings) and marketing to them. Properties with code violations, landlords who have evicted tenants, out of state owners, pre-foreclosure, etc..
Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thelemur
Originally Posted by clarkster009' timestamp='1339599808' post='21778193

Long story short, it doesn't matter what their advantage is. Stop thinking logically. Understand their needs to propose what solves their problems. If interest rate never comes up, then it never comes up. Often and owner will agree to a sales price at XXX monthly payment until paid, and that's it. Only talk interest rate if they do.

The key is identifying a pool of motivated sellers (not MLS listings) and marketing to them. Properties with code violations, landlords who have evicted tenants, out of state owners, pre-foreclosure, etc..

Hah I like this part ^

Thanks so much, that much information definitely helped. I will have to do some more researching now.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

This sounds exactly like a Carlton Sheets DVD... LOL.... how much success have you had at getting owner financing? I cannot imagine anyone signing up for this. I could see an elderly person maybe doing an owner financing for part of it at 7% interest or higher, so there is some reward.... and only on part of the purchase price...

So i find someone who wants to sell badly and they agree to trust me..... most people need to get the equity out of the house (if there is any) or get the loan off their name so they can buy their next house....

I am not saying this is impossible but sure seems damn near impossible...

Originally Posted by thelemur

Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Scot
This sounds exactly like a Carlton Sheets DVD... LOL.... how much success have you had at getting owner financing? I cannot imagine anyone signing up for this. I could see an elderly person maybe doing an owner financing for part of it at 7% interest or higher, so there is some reward.... and only on part of the purchase price...

So i find someone who wants to sell badly and they agree to trust me..... most people need to get the equity out of the house (if there is any) or get the loan off their name so they can buy their next house....

I am not saying this is impossible but sure seems damn near impossible...
It all works, if you work at it. Here's a couple I did recently:

down payment $3000
owner finance mortgage $400 (0% interest)
rented for $1100

down payment $2000
repairs 18000
owner finance mortgage 225 (3.5%)
rented for 1165

down payment $2000
owner finance mortgage $200 (3%)
rented for $650

down payment $2000
owner finance mortgage $200 (3%)
rented for $666