Muppets The corner of the UK & Ireland where muppetry happens. Totally off topic, word association, useless stuff and general messing about.

Calling Mr T Lawyer

Old 02-06-2004, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling Mr T Lawyer

just had a mail from a mate of mine who I keep in contact with at my last firm........basically him and 3 mates were having a laugh about homos

to cut along story short someone in the department complained and they have been up infront of one of the bosses....each have received a verbal warning

Question........does this go down on record?.....my mate is in line for a management position and has his annual review in April...he's worried what was just some light hearted banter may have prejudiced his possible promotion

By the way this is a mate and not me as I aint stupid enough to get involved in that kind of banter in the office

ta
Old 02-06-2004, 05:10 AM

Probably not, if it's a verbal warning - by definition, that's distinct from a written warning so probably won't be recorded in their personnel files.

That said, it's almost inevitable that it will be in the mind of the person who gave the warning, if they're part of the decision-making process as far as promotion goes.

Not a very helpful answer, I know, but it's not really a legal question per se. It's more one to do with the internal disciplinary procedure at wherever they work.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by zero_to60
just had a mail from a mate of mine who I keep in contact with at my last firm........basically him and 3 mates were having a laugh about homos
If one wished to discuss homosexuality how can one be disciplined when discussing it?

Advice to you friend. Leave the firm.

Then drown your sorrows in Canal Street.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:27 AM

I've kinda said the same thing to him....they were told that they got a verbal as it wasn't directed at anyone individual...I think it was kinda 'locker room' banter that maybe got a bit loud/out of hand...I don't know the details of what was said..i.e if there were graphic references that someone took offence to?....they are not aware of anyone in the department being gay...matey said that they wouldn't have said what they said if they'd have known there was a homo within earshot, if indeed the person who did complain was gay as it could have been anyone

I do feel sorry for him...he's been squeaky clean so far

morale of the story is in the office be very careful what you say as anyone could take offence at anything and you might not even know until a later date
Old 02-06-2004, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, I think you will find that the verbal warning IS recorded as it it is the first step in the discipliary process. Next step is written then goodbye!!!! Has to be recorded to be a part of complete record in case of Tribunal appeal.

Cheers - no charge!
Old 02-06-2004, 05:29 AM

If one wished to discuss homosexuality how can one be disciplined when discussing it?
I think it probably went a little further than merely discussing it by the sounds of it.....I intend to get the full sp over the weekend
Old 02-06-2004, 05:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by zero_to60
morale of the story is in the office be very careful what you say as anyone could take offence at anything and you might not even know until a later date
If I said `I fancy going on a right bender tonight` I would mean I wished to have a hearty drinky poo-s with my pals.

Could that upset anyone?
Old 02-06-2004, 05:36 AM

my mate said he wants to let it drop and not make an issue over it as what's done is done....the other two are not going to let it drop and intend finding out who has made trouble for them

I know one of them...the other guy joined after I left...the one I know can be a vindictive barsteward and I feel sorry for anyone who'se got on the wrong side of him
Old 02-06-2004, 06:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AdrianEagle
Mark, I think you will find that the verbal warning IS recorded as it it is the first step in the discipliary process.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:17 AM

I am itching to find out what was said to spark all this off

Quick Reply: Calling Mr T Lawyer