Nevada S2000 Owners Las Vegas, Nevada and area

Strong fuel / gas smell...help!

Old 07-16-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strong fuel / gas smell...help!

I posted about this a few weeks back in the main S2000 section, but the problem seemed like a 1 time fluke.

Well, last night and today I had the same thing happen. After driving the car for a good while (10+ miles each way), I pull into my garage and notice a VERY strong gasoline smell. Each time I have checked the gas cap and it has released a good amount of pressure, as well as a light bubbling sound when I open the cap.

No visible leaks and it definitely comes from the driver's side rear of the car, no CEL. I have read quite a few threads on the EVAP canister and purge valve and am thinking something is wrong with it. This is only happening now that it has been 100+ outside. Fuel level the first time was near full, this past 2 times it was almost at half.

Anyone else have this issue? Any solutions?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 PM

^ I do have the same issue too. I think it happens every summer, I think...
The following users liked this post:
icole (02-12-2023)
Old 07-16-2010, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've started noticing this as well. I had it happen to my Civic during the summer, especially when I let the engine idle.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 PM

There's really only 2 places the smell could be coming from.

1) the fuel pump. You might try pulling the pump out and making sure everything is tight. I know the heat can make the fuel pump do funny things. Maybe even replace the pump.

2) the evap canister area has some line that could have either come off or melted. I would get under the car and follow my FPR line back to the gas tank and make sure that wasn't obstructed, then check the vent line that returns fumes to your intake manifold from the gas tank. This line has a tube near the evap canister that can easily come off.

I'm interested in what it was however. Keep us posted
Old 07-17-2010, 10:21 AM

I have the same issue but I don't worry cause it happens every summer.
icole (02-12-2023)
Old 07-17-2010, 10:26 AM

odd i've had this happen once.. just a few weeks ago.. but it never happened again... i thought maybe i was imagining it lol
Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by juntuned,Jul 16 2010, 11:49 PM
There's really only 2 places the smell could be coming from.

1) the fuel pump. You might try pulling the pump out and making sure everything is tight. I know the heat can make the fuel pump do funny things. Maybe even replace the pump.

2) the evap canister area has some line that could have either come off or melted. I would get under the car and follow my FPR line back to the gas tank and make sure that wasn't obstructed, then check the vent line that returns fumes to your intake manifold from the gas tank. This line has a tube near the evap canister that can easily come off.

I'm interested in what it was however. Keep us posted
I'm going to get under it today as well a tear apart the trunk a bit to look at things.

I'll let you know if I find anything!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually have this problem once or twice a year. Always when its hot outside and usually when I'm running the car hard and recently fueled up. I just always chalked it up to the charcoal canister.
icole (02-12-2023)
Old 07-17-2010, 02:51 PM

I checked everything under the car, canister itself etc. Hoses are all there and seemed firmly planted.

Is it that normal for such a stong smell to be emitted from the canister? Just seems a bit much.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:19 PM

I had that same problem last year. I went to dealer and they replaced the gas cap. No more smell.

Quick Reply: Strong fuel / gas smell...help!