New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

First Annual S2000 Takeover @ NYST 5/18/2018

Old 02-20-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I suppose Bradthemachine should really answer, but since I offered, I'll weigh in. (I'm not sure about your Miata friend since Brad is trying to make this an all S2000 event.)

Everybody who is signed up for that track day is or was a rank beginner at one point. I suppose how you define "real slow" might be a factor, but if you are capable of, and enjoy, driving your car in a spirited manner on the highway you will most likely enjoy driving it in a spirited manner on the track.

I suspect that the run groups will be divided up so that those with little to no prior experience (and hence slower speeds) will be grouped together, while those with much more experience (and hence faster speeds) will also be grouped together. I think he said he was limited to 45 cars and with 3 run groups that translates to about 15 cars on the track at any one time. Usually the run groups are novice, intermediate and advanced.

I'm also pretty certain that passing will be limited to the straights and will be by point by. That means that you have to watch your mirrors and when you reach the straight(s) designated for passing, you put your arm out of the car and point the car behind by, indicating by your point where you want it to go. He may or may not take the point, his choice.

Obviously, we will all be slower in the morning than in the afternoon as we learn the track or otherwise shake off the cobwebs. For me, it will most likely be my first time out in the S and I will be flummoxed as I try to deal with six gears and finding third instead of fifth when I want third. Plus, I've never been to this track, so my learning curve will be slower.

I don't know exactly what rules Brad will have, but you should be able to snag a ride along with a more experienced driver to see the layout of the track. You might also be able to get someone to ride with you and to help you with your technique through the curved sections. Normally the corners will be marked with cones to show turn in, apex and track out points, the trick being to make the corner have as wide an arc as possible. With decent tires and a decent alignment, our cars have plenty of corner grip for a novice driver.

I suppose you are (and should be) concerned about car control. I suggest that you watch this video - It discusses every thing you need to know and is worth the cost of a three day driving school - or about $4,600 when I took it. My only admonition is "don't lift in the corners!"

http://youtu.be/xQRmYMlmdqM
Hi!

Yes, as of now this is an S2000 only event and hopefully we sell it out as such. If we are getting close to the deadline it is possible that it opens up to other types of vehicles but I will advise of this on the main thread.

Run groups will be just as stated above. One we have our total number I will reach out to anyone I need clarification on experience/driving level.

Ride alongs are most certainly welcome! We will be having some an awesome day as a community of enthusiasts so by all means take advantage of the day!

I will be helping all newcomers in any way I can. Just ask! Hopefully see you there.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:34 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Aashish posted that video of me spinning in Turn 1 at Lime Rock. Don't let that get you nervous. I was doing about 55 to 60 mph when the spin started and you'll notice that I didn't get too far off the track. The trick is to put both feet in (clutch & brake) if you lose the car. You will spin more or less in a straight line.

I was driving quite poorly that day, keeping on the gas until deep in the corner, braking and downshifting very late. I should have been braking earlier, shifting and then taking the corner more smoothly, with acceleration as I was tracking out. The spin itself was an example of poor footwork during a heal/toe shift. I was downshifting, had blipped the engine to match the engine speed to the lower gearing, but was so slow making the shift that the engine had slowed down by the time I threw it into gear. It's called downshift oversteer. One of my examples of boneheaded driving.

You'll hear lots of talk about heal & toeing Don't worry about it. You don't have to do it. On my vintage racecar I never heal & toe. It just means that I have to finish my braking before making the shift - just like in everyday life.

Here's an in-car view of the same spin.

Enjoy. Stay safe. And whatever you do, don't lift in the corner!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
El Jefe, this is the full run spectator view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJejeLK2IsE

Also, you guys viewing this thread should totally go to NYST with Brad. Once you get a taste of the track, come to Watkins Glen. This is the holy grail of road courses in the United States and it is right here in our backyard (especially if you live Springfield or east of it). Thread on Upstate NY is here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-york...-scda-1182107/

Oneloveknk - at most HPDE events, spectators are welcome. You need to have a proper helmet if you want to go out on track. Other than that I've never heard of a DE organizer charging for spectators. You and your plus one should sign up for Watkins Glen. It will be a great experience for both. Also the area is known for its vineyards and sight seeing. So make it a weekend, then do the track day on Monday and Tuesday and head home.
Thank you for the info A 2, I will definitely have her look into the Watkins Glen! Ps as for me did someone say vineyards
Old 02-22-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

What if you're tall. As in, you can't wear a baseball cap with the top up because that little button on top is thicker than your clearance to the softtop metal brace, and even your unhelmeted head would fail a broomstick test by several inches?

Also no possible way to even attempt to wear helmet under closed roof.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:12 PM

Only 9 spots left! Sign up soon!

Last edited by BradtheMachine; 02-25-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:59 AM

Only 9 spots left! Sign up soon!
Old 03-05-2018, 04:00 AM

To the top and beyond!
Old 03-05-2018, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Oneloveknk
To the top and beyond!
Only 8 spots left now. Sign up soon!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:04 AM

Pleased to announce NY Meto’s own Billman250 as a sponsor for the event!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:59 AM

How many spots left?
Dont mind me , the better half likes to cut things close? Don’t ask me why, I’m still trying to figure out if she has the time off?

Quick Reply: First Annual S2000 Takeover @ NYST 5/18/2018