New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

A little help for some travellers from UK

Old 03-04-2008, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up A little help for some travellers from UK

Hi everyone!

As per my thread on the UK side of the board HERE my girlfriend and I will be touring the States come April in a hired RV.

We are picking it up from Boston on April 10th and plan to travel West to Niagra / Toronto stopping at nice locations on the way.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if camping grounds will be open at that time of the year as my dad seems to think we may be out of luck (it being early in the season), can anyone confirm?

Also if anyone has any scenic recommendations or must sees please feel free to post them up!

See you soon!

Karl & Fran
Old 03-04-2008, 04:25 AM

My guess is that your dad may be right. I only know of a couple of sites and they officially open on Memorial Day weekend. (Last weekend of May)
April in New England is often pretty soggy and not a campers ideal by any means.
Good luck on your trip. Hopefully someone can offer you more detailed info.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to do some reading...

http://www.campnca.com/

http://www.vacationnortheastusa.com/

http://www.thatscamping.com/

Have fun as this could very well be one of the best ways to travel and get to see things over here.

As the Upstate New Yorker here (DO NOT think New York is nothing but a big city!!!), I have to say, if you are headed to Toronto please take some time to explore the Finger Lakes Region in New York State. In simple terms find the area between Syracuse and Rochester NY, and then look due south, you will see all the lakes and understand why it is called the Finger Lakes. The Indian lore is the great spirit placed his hand upon this land blessing it as holy, and having done created the lakes by the impressions left by his hand.

Just a few pics to tease ya...

Canandaigua Lake

Seneca Lake

Skaneateles Lake

Keuka Lake

And trust me, if you are into wine - This is the place!
http://www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com/
Old 03-04-2008, 04:41 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

April can be a tough time of year in the Northeast US and Southeast Canada. I know that many state parks are still closed in Massachusetts.

Let us know when your plans firm up. There may well be a local meet while you are in the area and we would love to have you join us.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:47 AM

New York State has dozens, maybe a hundred, campgrounds. Most, but not all, are open in April. I would recommend Letchworth State Park if it's not out of your way. However, there are many beutiful areas so i don't think any one is mandatory. Try this site and look around for what may ineterest you.
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/list.asp...sortBy=0&page=1

New York has some magnificent hiking a scenery. You have a great selection of places to stay between Boston and Toronto.

I'm not sure if Massachusetts has open camping in April, but in just over two hours from Boston you can be in New york.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:02 AM

Where's Lainey when ya need her???

One important thing to know you may not find out about reading, our huge general stores over here are called Wal-Mart. You can park an RV in the parking lot of almost any Wal-Mart for free over night.

My parents travelled for many years in an RV, and there were many times they took advantage of this great service, because in general tems, it is really easy to find a Wal-Mart store.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 AM

Good point about the Wal-marts. As a community service they will allow campers in their parking lots overnight for free. You can go to their web site (walmart.com) and find a store locator. Use a zip code along the way, say Syracuse (13205) and it will map out the stores near there. These will not be scenic but may be handy in a pinch. If you want to tour, I would try more for the NY state parks.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:29 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 4 2008, 09:02 AM
Where's Lainey when ya need her???

Two of my sisters are into the RV thing and one, if not both has spend a night in a Wal-mart lot while on a road trip.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Mar 4 2008, 09:29 AM
Two of my sisters are into the RV thing and one, if not both has spend a night in a Wal-mart lot while on a road trip.
I'm going to feel all warm and cozy today knowing Wal-Mart has added value to your family...

Old 03-04-2008, 05:41 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 4 2008, 09:39 AM
I'm going to feel all warm and cozy today knowing Wal-Mart has added value to your family...

Well, if you must. I also agree that your neck of the woods is a "MUST SEE" area if our UK guest has the time.

Quick Reply: A little help for some travellers from UK