New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Looking for a good blow

Old 01-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simplicity has a good reputation, as well, if you can find a dealer. Again, like Toro or Ariens they're expensive but built to last.

Personally, I consider MTD to be the evil Wal-Mart of power equipment. They buy brands with a long history of quality, then cheapen them down to sell at the big-box stores.

I ended up buying a 6/24 (I think) Ariens from Home Depot a couple of years ago. But we don't get near the snow you all get.

As someone said, there's all kinds of ways around the lack of a headlight; I have electric start but don't use it. First use this year it started on the second pull; second use it started on the first pull.

Just make sure you have a couple of spare shear pins/bolts. You never know when you'll need them.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a MTD with the Briggs 1350 motor in it for over a year now. Thing is awesome, way better the my parents Huskvarna (sp) of similar size. It has the electric start, but I can start it with one pull in the middle of winter, and throws snow so far.

day after I closed on my house I showed up only to see 18" of snow in the drive way (thankfully I dropped the blower off the day before) I moved the 18" of medium weight snow in one pass and had the driveway done in less the an hour. Didn't bog or clog on me once and hasn't ever even with the heavy slushy stuff...

The only think I am not keen on and seems to be better this year is the auger engagement is pretty harsh, it's on or off, no smooth engagement...
Old 01-07-2010, 03:42 AM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubs2k,Jan 6 2010, 10:17 PM
What are the premium/value/cheapass names in blowers.....

and

Do you think less of people who call them snowthrowers......I do.

IT BLOWS!!! LOL
I often call them snow throwers!!! So there!

Rick's is a Sears model. No issues and we've had it for 4-5 years if not more. I think the cost was around $400.00 or less.

I have to be honest, we did ZERO research when purchasing. We were walking into Sears Hardware, he spotted it outside and knowing our old one was on it's way out, we bought it.

The electric start has not been used at all, but I know our son (he has the same model) has used his. He too has not experienced any issues with the snow THROWER.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Jan 7 2010, 12:57 AM
Simplicity has a good reputation, as well, if you can find a dealer.
I sell simplicity too...
Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 AM

DO NOT get one with a plastic second stage auger like my dad did!!!!!!
Worst piece of sh!t I ever used. If the snow was wet - it clogged every time.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 AM

Toro is garbage IMO. Too much plastic all over it. My father in-laws is a POS.

I have been very happy with my Craftsman and I have a ton of ground to cover with mine. I even suck up clam shells with it some times by accident and it is still fine.

That being said, if I had the coin and was in the market, I would buy the best damn blower with the largest motor, biggest cut and most toys I could find. I look at it as an investment. I know with maintenance I can make the thing last forever, so why not have all the doohickeys like headed hand warmers and stuff!

I think I am going to get a cab for mine next week to keep the snow off of me when it blows back.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM

winter is over man... no need to get one
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
mas

Things have changed a lot during the last 3/4 years so when it comes to snow blowers, so, you may want to do your own research.

I got a Toro 2 years ago after LOTS of research, it's a 1028 (an 828 would be enough for your driveway, mine is a bit bigger). I love everything about it except that it mostly likes to start via electric start, this is supposed to be a problem with most bigger (10+ hp) blowers since they changed emissions regulations and upped the ethanol content in gas - these problems are now supposedly fixed. I would not buy a big blower without electric starter, the light is also very useful since it is mostly dark when I use it. I love the "free wheel steering", makes it easy to turn since it's quite heavy. The joy stick for chute control is also great and easy to use. All the plastic pieces are heavy duty and have a good track record and help reduce the weight.

Anyway, whichever blower you pick spend the extra $ and get all the features you care about since you will be using it for a long time.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 3,554 Likes on 2,401 Posts

A note about MTD snow blowers:
do some research on MTD transmissions.

a coworker just went through this on his 3 year old troybuilt (MTD).
The transmission has open holes in the side of the casing.
The allows water and snow in.
The gears rusted tight, he had to take it all apart to get the to free.
apparently a common problem.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

IT'S A SNOW THROWER!

The internet says so!

Quick Reply: Looking for a good blow