New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

a new owner in the greater Boston area

Old 03-17-2002, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a new owner in the greater Boston area

Hello,

SilverCat:Tessy, a MY2002 Silver/Black, has been the automotive version of my pet/girl-friend for about 2 weeks now. It's my only car which I have to drive to the supermarket & Blockbusters regardless of the fact that it may seem quite unorthodox & ridiculous to some people.

Well, I guess it was bound to happen; I just got my first ever speeding ticket in MA in this afternoon on the Veterans of Foreign War Parkway registering 52 mph against 35 limit. The police officer placed himself at a convenient location at the beginning of a reduced speed zone. I'm planning to request a court hearing & hope for a lucky break considering the large expected increase in the insurance rate. Any recommendations on the most effective approach on the court date in turning things around? Or would it be most likely a waste of time for me and the court?

Anyhow, the information gathered from this board over the last few months has been quite helpful, and as suggested by many, a set of performance driving instructions seems to be the best modification for this car (well, along with a radar detector).
Old 03-17-2002, 06:40 PM

Congratulations on the new car. Did you get the car at Chambers?
Old 03-18-2002, 04:03 AM

Welcome to the board!!!

as unorthodox as driving the S to blockbuster may seem, it may be a little more difficult now, along with speeding, snow tends to umm.... hinder the handling on S-02's. While this year it may be silly to get snow tires, be careful and remember them for next year, i've seen this car in the snow, from the outside... not pretty
Old 03-18-2002, 07:41 AM

WELCOME!!!

Hope to meet you soon at one of our meets.

As for Driving Instructions. I would recommend doing an Autocross Event and/or a Track Event. We are having a Track Event on April 17th at NHIS. Let me know if you are interested in that.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:20 AM

hey, welcome to the board...!!!
but I hate cats... you know... I am more a dog lover...
just joking..!!
Old 03-18-2002, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Silver,

I supose that depends on the speed limit on the road just before the drop. I doubt it was as high as 50 mph before the 35 mph drop, so if you argued that in court, they'd ask you why you were breaking the speed limit on the previous section of road. Your best bet is to go in front of the magistrate, plead your case, (hopefully) show a clean record, and ask for a reduced fine due to that clean record. Bostonian police are a bunch of hard-asses, so don't expect much leeway, but it certainly cannot hurt you except for a few hours out of your day. Sorry I can't be more helpful...
Old 03-18-2002, 03:12 PM

Thanks for your replies.

S2Krazy,

After shopping around at several dealers in MA, I've come across a far better deal at the Peter's in Nashua, NH.

g-s2k,

I've been looking around for a driving course, and it seems that the one closest to the Boston area is at the Skipper Barbers in CT which is a bit expensive. Does participation at the track/auto-X event provide any training opportunity or are they meant for people who are already proficient? I've no prior experience with a rear wheel drive car, and I do need some basic drills.

MacGuyver,

Thanks for your tip. I was just 2 weeks away from a clean policy year... I'm hoping that the court hearing would delay the surcharge date on my insurance record so that at least I'll receive the credit for this policy year; well, this is not all certain either since the explantion from the insurance company & the RMV do not agree. Oh, well..

Happy driving
Old 03-18-2002, 03:41 PM

I would not recommend starting with Skip Barber's immediately - go with the autocrosses first. It's more applicable to street driving - at least initially. It's not just RWD you need to learn but rather the S2000 specifically... and the autocross is the most fun way to start to begin with... Then you can consider on the of the track based DE events - like the SCDA event April 17th...
Old 03-18-2002, 05:06 PM

SilverCat:Tessy

Welcome aboard! Sorry about the ticket, I would get a good radar detector the first chance you get. It will save you big time.

Good luck with the car! Peters has been very nice to me and has done good work on my car and they treat you nicely. I actually live in their neighborhood so it is very convenient for me.

I have also sent you a PM.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:41 AM

Welcome. Silver/black are the feastest cars. Derrick will attest to this I'm sure. : )

Quick Reply: a new owner in the greater Boston area