S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   New England S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-england-s2000-owners-9/)
-   -   S2000 tuned with e-Manage Ultimate (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-england-s2000-owners-9/s2000-tuned-e-manage-ultimate-405306/)

gilbertg 07-16-2006 03:01 PM

S2000 tuned with e-Manage Ultimate

So, the other day I had the chance to do a quick tune on a MY03 S with a cold air intake and a newly installed e-Manage Ultimate. For those who don

turbo_pwr 07-16-2006 07:20 PM

Giles, can the Ultimate be used to tune off of TPS? That way I can keep the stock ecu with the ITBs? Just wondering.

gilbertg 07-16-2006 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Jul 16 2006, 11:20 PM
Giles, can the Ultimate be used to tune off of TPS? That way I can keep the stock ecu with the ITBs? Just wondering.

Yes it can, however I think the stock ECU would get very unhappy without and idle air control valve and all the EVAP and air pump system etc...

Legal Bill 07-16-2006 07:38 PM

Giles, how smooth is the final product? Does the engine idle as stock, and start and stop the same? Does the exhaust smoke or smell bad? I'm just wondering about driveability. Also, once done can you just forget about it, or does it need periodic recalibration?

Finally, is the AP 2 really that much stronger than the AP 1? It seems the AP 2 is almos as strong as the modified AP 1.

Legal Bill 07-16-2006 07:39 PM

BTW, was the baseline with or without the CAI?

gilbertg 07-16-2006 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jul 16 2006, 11:38 PM
Giles, how smooth is the final product? Does the engine idle as stock, and start and stop the same? Does the exhaust smoke or smell bad? I'm just wondering about driveability. Also, once done can you just forget about it, or does it need periodic recalibration?

Finally, is the AP 2 really that much stronger than the AP 1? It seems the AP 2 is almos as strong as the modified AP 1.

Baseline was with the CAI - that gives it the bump around 3K.

It starts and stops exactly like stock. The EU can modify signals at that time but I have it set not to. Actually a lot more can be done in the part throttle area with little advances in timing to make the car much more lively and accelerate quicker. No smoke or smell as it is not running lean AFRs to generate the power in the same way that a V-AFC does. No periodic tuning needed as the stock ECU modifies the injector pulse widths to compensate for temperature change.

I think if you look at V-AFC plots you'll find that they don't come near to the power of the AP2, however with the EU you can get the same power as the 2.2l with the 2.0l and still keep 9000 rpm :D

Legal Bill 07-16-2006 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by gilbertg,Jul 16 2006, 11:53 PM
Baseline was with the CAI - that gives it the bump around 3K.

It starts and stops exactly like stock. The EU can modify signals at that time but I have it set not to. Actually a lot more can be done in the part throttle area with little advances in timing to make the car much more lively and accelerate quicker. No smoke or smell as it is not running lean AFRs to generate the power in the same way that a V-AFC does. No periodic tuning needed as the stock ECU modifies the injector pulse widths to compensate for temperature change.

I think if you look at V-AFC plots you'll find that they don't come near to the power of the AP2, however with the EU you can get the same power as the 2.2l with the 2.0l and still keep 9000 rpm :D

How much does all this cost Giles/Scott??

Pinky 07-16-2006 08:25 PM

I still think I might have to look up and try to get a MUGEN ECU. :) Yeah yeah I know you can probably get more HP out of Giles tuning I am sure.

Though at 91,000 miles I wonder if I should be doing ANY OF THESE THINGS. :)

gilbertg 07-17-2006 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky,Jul 17 2006, 12:25 AM
I still think I might have to look up and try to get a MUGEN ECU. :)

And you would need the other Mugen parts to get much benefit out of it at all ... + I don't think it wall pass OBD II inspection ...

gilbertg 07-17-2006 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jul 16 2006, 11:58 PM
How much does all this cost Giles/Scott??

So, given the above data if you went with a plug and play solution (recommended) it would be a little over $1K, based on the above parts costs ... however if you work out the price per % under the curve an SC would be $5300 parts + $600 install labour for 22% increase = $268 per %. The EU option even if it cost $1500 installed and tuned would be $115 per %. Even if you compare hp increase it would be $219 per % for the SC and $125 per % for the EU.