New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Time to say goodbye?

Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time to say goodbye?

I have been thinking about this for a while now and I guess it is time to say goodbye to my loving s2000, didn't think I would be here today saying this. I guess I get it now when people are trying to sell a car because they don't drive it enough. Not only that but I feel like I have also lost interest in the car but still love it for what it is? Times have changed and maybe I'm growing up out of the "car scene" also. Before I have reached this decision i have thought about keeping it for a while just sitting in the garage and take it out once in a while to keep wheels moving and gears moving and wait for the value to go up before I decide to sell but it would also be nice to have the money and invest it into something else and make more money.... It's a sad time for me right now. If any of the older generation s2k owners can chime in I would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I've got well north of a million miles or so in the drivers seat among various vehicles so I guess that makes me and older generation driver.

1.) there is a good likelihood that the market for S2000's has bottomed out and will be going to rise slowly over time.
With that said it's not an investment vehicle yet ( yes pun intended )
On the other hand you probably don't have to worry about about losing your shirt on it because you held onto it either.

2.) The S2000 is a very unique vehicle. So think carefully about parting with it. If you do you might not be the first person to come back to the fold a couple of years later.

3.) Only you can decide what is right for you. No one but you understands your monetary situation along with the intangibles like parking, house, significant other, kids and so forth and so on.

of course here are some other older folks opinions over in vintage.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:39 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

What Jerry said.
Levi
Old 08-11-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

In my 20s, I owned an Austin Healey 3000. I drove it pretty hard, 120,000 miles and through many an upstate New York winter. When I got out of school, I needed a more reliable car for work. The Healey was starting to show signs of rust and needed stabilization before it deteriorated further. I couldn't afford to do the work, and didn't have a place to store the car. I essentially gave it away to a guy who said he would restore it and keep it on the road.

Then I bought a Datsun 510 4 door sedan. It was like having a Japanese version of the BMW 2002. Great car to drive! I beat the bejezus out of that car, again over the course of about 120,000 miles. Eventually traded it on some family oriented piece crap; and lived sensibly for decades after.

Forty years on, I went looking for another Austin Healey 3000 (and then a Datsun 510) - wanting to relive my youth, I suppose. Well, a reasonable restored Healey was now a minimum of $80,000 - maybe up to $120,000 for a Tanner restoration. I couldn't find a 510. So I bought the S2000 instead.

The advice from this member of the older generation - Whatever you do, don't sell the car! You'll always regret it. Hang onto it. Put in in storage if you have to. Take it out in 10 years and it will put a huge smile on your face.

Look at it this way. If you get $15,000 for your car tomorrow, what portion of that will you have in ten years? Probably nothing. If you put the car away for ten years, you may have a little work to get it road worthy, but you'll have a very nice classic automobile to tool around in.

I'm not selling mine. I'll pass it down to the next generation first.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:02 AM
IPB

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah don't do it Sab. While the car scene isn't what it used to be the occasional get together is pretty fun, but that's not why I keep mine (I have thought about getting something more "grown up" lately).

I keep it because every time I sit and look at it I'm reminded how much I love it, and then when I drive it it only reaffirms that fact that if I part ways with it, as I have with so many other cars, this is the least likely to be easily replaced.

My garage is almost done, so you can keep it here and I can drive it for you if you'd like
Old 08-13-2015, 06:32 PM

Very true, I think you guys have convinced me
Old 10-02-2015, 07:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you keep it, AZ?

I'll be driving mine through yet another NE winter. It helps to have other vehicles around too in case the weather gets particularly bad. My family went through a complete rotation of cars over the last year, but the one car that has stayed is my S.

I've had it for 13 years now. That kinda' blows my mind. I have yet to find another vehicle that I enjoy as much, fits me like a glove, and requires less maintenance than the S.

My fenders are rusting out, my top is more holes than cover, and I have some fears about parts availability in the future. But, the S is staying for the foreseeable future.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:18 AM

Yes I did keep it, gonna dig a hole and bury it in a time capsule and release it 20 years later
Old 10-09-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sold mine 2 years ago next march reinvested the cash living at the ocean in the summers now Im happy with my decision. I did not drive the car for the last 3 years I owned it so for me it was a no brainer to sell and reinvest the cash which is making me earnings everyday..The car was going to rot in my garage and it was a ton of work keeping it absolutely mint. Im probably one of the only people having more fun with my S replacement drum roll please a golf cart

Its a hard decision what to do with the S when one starts thinking about it and its a different conclusion for all, for me selling was the best solution. It was costing me over $1000 a year just to sit in the garage between fluid changes yes those were done even though it did not go anywheres,insurance,registration and other misc expenses. Although I got lucky it was sold within a week of me making the decision to sell it.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy
Sold mine 2 years ago next march reinvested the cash living at the ocean in the summers now Im happy with my decision. I did not drive the car for the last 3 years I owned it so for me it was a no brainer to sell and reinvest the cash which is making me earnings everyday..The car was going to rot in my garage and it was a ton of work keeping it absolutely mint. Im probably one of the only people having more fun with my S replacement drum roll please a golf cart Its a hard decision what to do with the S when one starts thinking about it and its a different conclusion for all, for me selling was the best solution. It was costing me over $1000 a year just to sit in the garage between fluid changes yes those were done even though it did not go anywheres,insurance,registration and other misc expenses. Although I got lucky it was sold within a week of me making the decision to sell it.
Zippy I am with you on that, I still think about what I want to do still but in the meantime I still have it, doesn't help that I have a motorcycle I rather ride on the nice days.

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye?