New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Track Days for Topless S2000s

Old 02-17-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Days for Topless S2000s

SCDA has posted their 2008 schedule of events. Your S2000 does NOT need a roll bar or hard top for New Hampshire (NHIS) or Watkins Glen (WGI).

NHIS is a 1.6 mile road course with 12 turns. WGI is 3.6 miles with 12 turns. They also offer Lime Rock (LRP) events but those DO require either a roll bar or a hard top for the S.

EDIT: Your best bet for a visit to NH and doing a track day with other S2000s will be during Nor'Easter, Monday August 18th. Visit the Nor'Easter Thread for more details!

Students must be at least 18 years of age, and posses a valid drivers license in order to attend. Snell 95 Rated Helmets are required for all participants. Full or open face but must be SA rated, not MA. SCDA has several Snell 95 Helmets that you can borrow (if that idea does not totally creep you out). Long sleeved shirts and pants must also be worn.

http://www.scda1.com/schedule/

Registration is now open
http://www.scda1.com/pdf/student.pdf

SCDA events are strictly driver education, not competition so are covered by many car insurance companies (check yours of course) It is unlikely you will do worse than run off course onto grass or spin. You are far more likely to have a serious problem if you push your car on the street.

NHIS events:

Monday, April 14
Tuesday, May 27 Attendees: Tadashi / Ellen
Monday, July 14
Monday, August 18 (Day after Nor'Easter) Attendees: See Nor'Easter Thread
Monday, September 22
Thursday, October 16

2008 rates are $250 per day.

WGI events:

Monday, April 28 Attendees: Tadashi / Ellen
Tuesday, April 29
Monday, October 27 Attendees: Tadashi / Ellen
Tuesday, October 28

2008 rates are $275 per day at the Glen.
(Discounts for 2 day signup are usually offered)

LRP events:

Thursday, April 10
Tuesday, June 3 (Experienced Drivers Only)
Wednesday, August 13

2008 rates are $340 at Lime Rock

It's more fun to attend these when you know other participants or make new friends there. I accost - I mean - meet and greet - all fellow S owners as soon as I see them

Definite dates for me are:

WGI - April 28 and October 27
NHIS - May 27 and August 18, with September 22 a strong possible

Pics from NHIS

Pics from WGI

Track days consist of four 20-25 minute on track sessions (Novices will have an instructor) plus class room time. You need to be at the track by 7 am and "tech" your car. You'll get a sheet of paper with items you should check on your car: Fluids, tire pressures, wheel torque, etc.

You need to register directly with SCDA using their student form
http://www.scda1.com/pdf/student.pdf

Listed on the SCDA web site are hotels in both areas. I usually stay at Red Roof in for NH events because it's cheap and only 10 minutes from the track.

If interested in any of the above feel free to post here with questions or PM me. If anyone wants to "signup" here I will be happy to add your name next to a date above.

Bill - let me know if you want something else or more here...
Old 02-17-2008, 04:12 PM

Wow, I never realized it cost that much to spend a day at the track
Old 02-17-2008, 04:14 PM

Having fun costs money
Old 02-17-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ellen, we should go spectate at LRP. It's less than an hour from my house and yet I've never been.

Unless, you procure that HT and I'll be the spectator of Tadashi zooming around the track.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM

Lime Rock is just under 2 hours south now. I'm going to watch ALMS July 12 then track day August 13 assuming Kenta still wants me to store his hard top this summer

Anyone else want to go as a group? More info here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=9&t=568284
Old 02-17-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks Ellen. That is a great start. I'm going to compare your dates to my schedule and see if I am free to attend.

What do you think about a seperate thread for the ALMS event? I know I would love to go to that, schedule permitting. Maybe I'll call and see if they have group rates for tickets or any other accomodation they can offer.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:51 PM

Ellen are there any requirments for pre-inspections? I didn't see any on the SCDA site, just recomendations. The track events I went to last year for the BMWCC required you to get a track inspection done by a prof. tech prior to the event, and show proof of brake fluid being changed within 90 days of the event.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill, I'd be down for an ALMS get together at LRP.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:57 PM

See the edited posted above for link to ALMS race day!

Dave -- SCDA is nothing like the BMW club... very informal tech sheet - mostly just common sense stuff... check your tire pressures and torque of your lug nuts. You'd be nuts not to do that If you get Doug as your instructor he will ask when your brake fluid was changed

That is an item on the tech sheet but no one has asked me that before. I'm getting mine done in April when the car comes out and all the fluids get changed as well.

You do not need to do anything before you get there, no sign off from a shop or dealership required, etc etc.

Just show up and drive - bring a helmet and if you have a torque wrench and tire pressure gauge those are handy too but you can probably borrow someone's... I would be willing to share mine
Old 02-17-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tadashi,Feb 17 2008, 08:57 PM
See the edited posted above for link to ALMS race day!

Dave -- SCDA is nothing like the BMW club... very informal tech sheet - mostly just common sense stuff... check your tire pressures and torque of your lug nuts. You'd be nuts not to do that If you get Doug as your instructor he will ask when your brake fluid was changed

That is an item on the tech sheet but no one has asked me that before. I'm getting mine done in April when the car comes out and all the fluids get changed as well.

You do not need to do anything before you get there, no sign off from a shop or dealership required, etc etc.

Just show up and drive - bring a helmet and if you have a torque wrench and tire pressure gauge those are handy too but you can probably borrow someone's... I would be willing to share mine
Wow, good to know. I just assumed all track events required this stuff. Makes the overall cost much cheaper if you can do it yourself. I was thinking of doing a BMWCC event in April at NHIS, but I might do the WGI event on April 18th instead. I"ll see if my schedule allows (as well as my financial dept)

Quick Reply: Track Days for Topless S2000s