New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Way off topic - need ideas

Old 09-18-2005, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way off topic - need ideas

Problem #1.
My GF drives the subject vehicle. It has 110K on the clock. The spark plug arrangement is similar to the S2000 in that they are deep inside the valve cover. Obviously no coil pack and the engine is transverse mounted, not front to back like ours. I was checking the oil and noticed a few wet drops around the #2 spark plug boot. I popped the boot off and the spark plug whole was full of oil. Just that one, all the rest are dry. I pulled the plug so of course the oil drained into the engine and burned out when we started the car. The plug seemed OK, although covered with oil. It was properly torqued. The engine runs fine.

I'm pretty sure this is very bad, but I'm not sure where that oil is coming from. Any conjecture or theories are welcome.

Problem #2
While popping the hood on the subject vehicle, I heard a rustling noise behind the right front fender well. At first I thought it was from somewhere else but as I continued to fiddle about under the hood the rustling occurred again. A few steps back revealed what appears to be a squirrel's tail hanging down from behind the right headlight and in front of the inside fender. A few whacks on the fender and the tail retracts and rustling noises begin again. I tried to poke around in there with a stick, but I think the little fellow is stuck. We left the hood open for about 6 hours but he didn't leave.

Is this problem common on Nissan's of that year? What causes squirrel infestation and what maintenance procedure should have been followed to reduce the likelihood of this? How will this effect gas mileage and performance? Most importantly, any suggestions on getting him out of there? I hope he's ready for a 25 mile commute each way tomorrow. I fear we will wait for his untimely demise and pull him out.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:41 PM

Try leaving some sort of food out for him?
Old 09-18-2005, 06:46 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

The squirrel is an illegal modification and your car will be disqualified for SCCA competition. I suggest registering for a Tractor Pull or a draught horse competition.

As to the oil in the spark plug well, it sounds like a leaky cam cover gasket. I suggest soaking up the oil before taking out the plug. Oil will lock an engine just like water if enough of it gets into the combustion chamber.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:59 AM

Do you think the squirrell may be a remnant from the pre '97 Sentras, which I believe were actually powered by small rodents running on wheels under the hood? This particular vehicle actually features an internal combustion power plant, but maybe there was a mid-year mix-up on installed rodents. Anyway, he's still there.

Thanks for the gasket tip, that may be it.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

power washer??
Old 09-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

I would wait a few more days and if the rustling stops and an oder starts you might want to get your squirrel swapped out for a new one.

You can always borrow a neighbors cat and scare the little guy out! Though might lead to solution #1.

Then there might be the right thing to do which is jack the car up and pull the tire off then the inner plastic fender well. If that doesn't give you access to the furry creature see if you can maybe even take the bumper and or fender off at least to where it's open enough to let the guy exit on his own.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Sep 18 2005, 09:46 PM
The squirrel is an illegal modification and your car will be disqualified for SCCA competition. I suggest registering for a Tractor Pull or a draught horse competition.

As to the oil in the spark plug well, it sounds like a leaky cam cover gasket. I suggest soaking up the oil before taking out the plug. Oil will lock an engine just like water if enough of it gets into the combustion chamber.
Good call about locking the motor with oil .

Bill is right I would check the gasket . Also with the cover off check the plug hole for cracks.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:31 AM

I turned the motor a few spins with the plug out before we started it to avoid locking. It runs fine. I'm trying to decide if it's worth pulling the head to check the gasket and/or cracks. The GF seems more interested in buying a new car which she really can't afford.

No more rustling this morning. Either the little guy lost enough weight to slip out or he has gone on to a fendery grave. I hope it's the former but I'll verify this evening.

All input is appreciated.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:31 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

^No need to pull the head at this point. the cam cover should be relatively simple to remove. Just buy a new gasket first. Like Scott said, the plug hole may be cracked, but if the crack is in the cover, then a trip to the junk yard will solve that problem. If the head is cracked, then you have to make a decision.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:10 AM

Heres a couple exploded veiws depending on what motor you have.

2.0l

1.6l

You cant see them in the pic buy there are gaskets around the spark plug holes .

Quick Reply: Way off topic - need ideas