New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Would You Still Buy this S2000?

Old 11-01-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Backyard mechanics (who me?) throw parts at a car until it's fixed because we lack the sophisticated test instruments available to professionals. Seems like this is all Herbie is doing too. Too many S2000s available to buy this one but look for it at the same dealer in the spring. Regardless I'd not buy this (or any car) without a recent smog certification. As in this week certification.

-- Chuck
Old 11-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

They're saying the next logical replacement would be the fuel injectors. However, because the fuel injectors will cost $1,300 to replace, they don't want to do that only to find that it didn't fix the problem. So, they're offering to just write me a check for $1,300 and I can have them replaced there or go somewhere else to fix it.
I'm not pretending to be an expert, only reporting things I've read here and there. Can't they swap the injectors around and see if the new cylinder shows a misfire? In other words, move the misfiring injector to another cylinder and see if the misfire moves with it. But they won't give you the codes, so who knows what it is.

I'm not sure the valve adjustment is sufficient unless they followed the specific procedure with a cold engine. If they started the engine and moved the car into the bay and then adjusted the valves, they did it wrong. The car needs to sit in the bay overnight or be cooled with a fan blowing over the head for probably more than an hour.

Also on the AP-1, you have the concern for cracked retainers at the valves which seems to have not been examined.

I'd post your question on the "Under the Hood" forum in the General Interest section of these boards. Maybe Billman or some other knowledgeable person can post up some advice. Until then, I'd go after a different car. I don't think the service people handling the car know what they are doing. It's already been down for three weeks!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I'm not pretending to be an expert, only reporting things I've read here and there. Can't they swap the injectors around and see if the new cylinder shows a misfire? In other words, move the misfiring injector to another cylinder and see if the misfire moves with it. But they won't give you the codes, so who knows what it is.

I'm not sure the valve adjustment is sufficient unless they followed the specific procedure with a cold engine. If they started the engine and moved the car into the bay and then adjusted the valves, they did it wrong. The car needs to sit in the bay overnight or be cooled with a fan blowing over the head for probably more than an hour.

Also on the AP-1, you have the concern for cracked retainers at the valves which seems to have not been examined.

I'd post your question on the "Under the Hood" forum in the General Interest section of these boards. Maybe Billman or some other knowledgeable person can post up some advice. Until then, I'd go after a different car. I don't think the service people handling the car know what they are doing. It's already been down for three weeks!
Thanks for the reply, and I tend to agree. I also think the service people there don't really know what their doing.

At the same time, if they write me the check for $1,300, I'd be getting the car for $13,700 and if I can bring it to someone who DOES know what he's doing and the fix is relatively inexpensive, then I'd be getting this car for a steal. However, there is obviously some risk with this.

As you can see, this is why I'm on the fence. The majority of you say to play it safe and run, which I might have to do. I think my last effort will be to see if the dealer will let me take it to a third party for their opinion. If I'm not VERY confident in what they have to say, i will have to pass on this one.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

The fact that the dealer won't fix it makes me worry that they may have zero confidence that the injectors will solve the problem. Plenty of other cars out there. Why mess with this?
Old 11-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I simply think that they are tired of investing time ( hence money) into it.
I did a quick search of their used inventory. No S2000's. I suspect they made the decision to just wholesale it and make the problem go away.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
The fact that the dealer won't fix it makes me worry that they may have zero confidence that the injectors will solve the problem. Plenty of other cars out there. Why mess with this?
^ This

It appears that you are dead set on buying this car. Good luck.
Let us know what is wrong with it if you can ever find out.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I simply think that they are tired of investing time ( hence money) into it.
I did a quick search of their used inventory. No S2000's. I suspect they made the decision to just wholesale it and make the problem go away.
That's the gist I'm getting too. They even offered to refund my money 2 weeks ago, but I insisted they keep looking into it as I want the car. That's why I think they're trying to "buy me out" by writing a check for $1.3k so that they can just be rid of it. Hoping that works in my favor if I can find a mechanic that can fix it for $1k or less; if that's the case, I'd be coming away looking good on this deal.

Anyway, I'm going to try to take it for one last extended test drive this weekend to try to evaluate the overall health of the car. I should make my final decision after that. I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks to all who provided some input.

As a side note, there is another car for sale for $20K with 36k miles. It's a private sale from a single owner (older man). It is tempting, but don't really want to spend $20K plus it's in suzuka blue, which I'm not giddy over. It's also a 2005 AP2, which I see the pros of, but I do like the rawness of AP1s.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:40 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

If you get pouring money a car that won't pass inspection, 20K will look cheap.
I have two boys in their mid 20's. I have a come to recognize that some lessons can only be learned firsthand.

BTW Suzuka blue is the perfect color.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:43 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
If you get pouring money a car that won't pass inspection, 20K will look cheap.
I have two boys in their mid 20's. I have a come to recognize that some lessons can only be learned firsthand.

BTW Suzuka blue is the perfect color.
^
What he said....the price you are paying for a model year 2000 is rather high in itself. 20K might be a little high even for a 2005.

I still don't know how Herb Chambers can sell this car if it won't pass inspection, and it won't if a CEL is on......

You do seem to have made up your mind, but chances are you could still do way better than this purchase. There ARE other S2000s out there! Listen to the old folks here......walk away, keep looking.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:42 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

If that S is unable to be fixed to pass inspection it could turn into a very expensive lawn ornament. I wouldn't buy it unless it is fixed.
Levi

Quick Reply: Would You Still Buy this S2000?