New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Anyone active in here a lawyer or in law school that could answer a few questions?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Anyone active in here a lawyer or in law school that could answer a few questions?

Just wondering if anyone on here is a lawyer or in law school and familiar with seeing if I have a case or what.

I have done business with a company that has screwed me over for months and I have lost business from it, had some chargebacks, and countless emails and phone calls from pissed off customers etc.

I am wanting to talk with someone to see if it is worthwhile to file a lawsuit against this company since I have had quite a bit of reputation and monetary damage as a result of this companies inability to deliver their products even remotely close to the agreed upon timeframe (4-5 week timeframe given for delivery but been over 15 weeks now!)

If you could shoot me a PM if anyone has any information that could help I would really appreciate it!!

I don't want to post up too much info on here so would rather discuss via PM or phone if possible.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a good guy associated with my other passion (mtb'ing), that can probably help. PM me your e-mail and some pertinent info and ill fwd to him.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 PM

That sucks, I'm sure there are a bunch of lawyers out there that handle that kind of litigation. Be careful though, lawyers will tell you anything for you to hire them, how else will they pay off law school?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my cousin Vinny is a lawyer
Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 PM

If you hire a lawyer via contigency fee then you won't have to worry about cost as you will only pay if you win. In order to win you have to show duty, breach of that duty or contract, causation and most important damages. To present evidence in court saying my reputation was damaged and thats it would get you nothing. Damages often especially ones based on damaged reputation is hard to prove. Really you would have very concrete proof that the breach of contract caused significant loss of income and that the defendant knew or should have reasonably known that the breach would cause the damages.
Find a reputable firm and see if they will represent you via contingency- nothing to lose except time and a future vendor.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to http://www.legalhelp.org and post over there, or PM the user "legalhelp"

The site is run by my brother in law (lawyer in NY/NJ) and he can help you out. You can also PM JanieB (my wife, lawyer in NY/NJ) and ask. You can keep it anonymous, don't use your name, or either companies' names, and post up the problem and any other info you have, and you'll get really good info from a bunch of lawyers. The site is non-profit, and is associated with LexisNexis, Westlaw, and a lot of large firms all over the country. They don't sell anything over there, nor do they charge anyone for questions.

As for contingency, this will never happen. Contingency is ONLY taken in PI cases, or SUREFIRE multimillion dollar cases. Your cases is NEVER going to be on contingency, and any lawyer worth their suit will charge you at LEAST $250-$350 for the hour for consultation. If anyone ever offers you free consultation, it shows how sh!tty of a lawyer they are. Professionals don't hand out time for free.

Now, as to your case, while I would need a TON more details, it all depends on a number of factors...were your customers aware that the parts/stuff is being made by someone else? If not, it is technically your fault for selling things you don't actually have. The fact that this company screwed up your time table is irrelevant. Regardless, many details need to be sifted through, and if you want real lawyer help, I suggest you take 5 minutes of your time, and do the above.