New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Anyone in the finance field?

Old 08-05-2005, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in the finance field?

Fellow S2k'ers,

I am seeking help from anyone with Investment Banking contacts, here's my story:

I'm entering my last year of college and am in the process of applying for a full-time job. I am looking to enter the investment-banking field but my problem is I am not attending an Ivy League school. I attend The College of New Jersey (formerly Trenton State College) with a 3.55 GPA, hold several executive positions, and have previous internship experience (in the auditing field). I feel I am highly qualified for the job but am having a hard time getting recruiters to notice my resume without the big-name school recognition.

I am just looking for a kind soul to forward my resume to their respective contact. It seems in this profession it's more "who you know" rather than being the most qualified.

Anyone
Old 08-05-2005, 02:58 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE=remedyzrider,Aug 5 2005, 01:16 PM] Fellow S2k'ers,

I am seeking help from anyone with Investment Banking contacts, here's my story:

I'm entering my last year of college and am in the process of applying for a full-time job. I am looking to enter the investment-banking field but my problem is I am not attending an Ivy League school. I attend The College of New Jersey (formerly Trenton State College) with a 3.55 GPA, hold several executive positions, and have previous internship experience (in the auditing field). I feel I am highly qualified for the job but am having a hard time getting recruiters to notice my resume without the big-name school recognition.

I am just looking for a kind soul to forward my resume to their respective contact. It seems in this profession it's more "who you know" rather than being the most qualified.

Anyone
Old 08-05-2005, 10:17 PM

Since you like S2ks, you've gotta be a good man for the job .. hehe j/k

anyways ... have you tried applied to recruiting sites? Recruiters frequently post things just to "collect" resumes and contact them ... try glocap.com, careerbuilder.com, monster.com, hotjobs.com, wetfeet.com, jobsinthemoney.com, etc. ..

good luck man!
Old 08-06-2005, 05:05 PM

hey dood PM me.. im HR at Lehman so let me know exactly what you're looking for and I can see whats listed on my internal board...
Old 08-07-2005, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by ralper
Are you only looking in the investment banking field?

You mention that you have auditing experience. We are certified public accountants and are looking for a few people. Do you have a degree in accounting and are you interested?
PM sent! Thank you.

Originally Posted by Ks320
Since you like S2ks, you've gotta be a good man for the job .. hehe j/k

anyways ... have you tried applied to recruiting sites? Recruiters frequently post things just to "collect" resumes and contact them ... try glocap.com, careerbuilder.com, monster.com, hotjobs.com, wetfeet.com, jobsinthemoney.com, etc. ..

good luck man!
Thank you for the advice! Typically, (at least from my experiences) i-banking firms have the supply and demand curve heavily working in their favor, which leads them to pull from "select schools" and satisfy their needs. A good example of this is a friend of mine; he worked personal contacts to get an interview with JP Morgan i-banking, eventually landing him a job. He said he is the only non-ivy individual that was recruited for the NYC campus that year! I will look into those sites you provided! Thanks again.

Originally Posted by sonicjai
hey dood PM me.. im HR at Lehman so let me know exactly what you're looking for and I can see whats listed on my internal board...
THANK YOU!!! PM sent.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:03 AM

great source for job hunting is the Sunday Times. Significant internships are clutch in landing a job. Im @ Ubs on 6th Ave. Just get ready to pay the piper b/c the i get up @ 530 and walk in my door @ 750. Good luck
Old 08-07-2005, 10:50 PM

also try craigslist ... I've heard people have occassionally found something good from there as well!