New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Anyone interested in getting some track time?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading is fundamental
Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm gonna make it bold in my original post so it's clear
Old 03-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by steguis
If any of you guys have been interested in taking your S to the track but can't decide if you want to commit, consider the NASA (http://www.nasane.com) Hyperdrive. Basically during a track weeekend, they allocate some track time (usually lunch time) where they do hyperdrives. You get 20 minutes of classroom instruction to go over the basics, followed by about 20 minutes of time on the track with an instructor for $60. The goal is to get your feet wet in seeing what it's like to be on a proper track without the full commitment of a track day. Passing generally is not allowed unless the instructor gives a go ahead and the goal isn't to get you to do faster laptimes but instead to accustom you to a track environment. You can only avail of a hyperdrive once.

I have confirmation from the regional director that they allow S2Ks without rollbars (OEM rollhoops are ok) at hyperdrives so this is a good way for those of you who are on the fence about taking your car to a full on track. Obviously your car will need to pass tech inspection at the track and should be in good running order before you go out. I'm going to be at NJMP lightning (http://www.njmp.com/) on April 21 for a track day and if anyone wants to come by to do a hyperdrive, I'd encourage you to do so.

Track days are fun but can be both expensive and potentially dangerous if you don't take it seriously. This is a good way to see if it might be something you can see yourself getting into with the least risk and upfront expense possible whether you eventually continue to run with NASA or with any of the other clubs that offer great track events in the NorthEast.

Registration for this event can be found here:
https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1417

This what the track looks like from inside a S2k (mine of course)...LoL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UND8mS0rSxM
Appreciate the post!!! Seems like a better value than skip barber. joining today!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Well, you have to remember the hyperdrive is only a single 20 minute session. If you eventually want to get into it, you can sign up for full track days where you clubs offer 4-6 sessions depending on which one you run with.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Well, you have to remember the hyperdrive is only a single 20 minute session. If you eventually want to get into it, you can sign up for full track days where you clubs offer 4-6 sessions depending on which one you run with.
thanks again. i never heard of NASA until today. i was going to take classes at skip barber even though i balked at the idea of spending 4000 for a 3 day course. NASA is much more reasonable and i like the fact that their website is more like a community. i heard skip barber is really good but im willing to take my chances with NASA instructors.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by rwemersonrw
spending 4000 for a 3 day course
WTF? Is it really that expensive?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by t3am 83rd
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw' timestamp='1330628967' post='21466835
That sounds about right. Porsche driving school is over 3k for two days and 10k for a full event (whatever that includes). Just in case someone is skimming and didn't read the OP, it's 4k for skip barber driving school not what is posted in the OP.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by t3am 83rd
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw' timestamp='1330628967' post='21466835
depends on the car. the 2 day mazada speed 3/rx8 lession is 1400. the 2 day evora/elise drive is 3200. the one day mazda miata drive is 1800 and the advance 2 day drive is 3500. and the three day f1 car is 4000.

was going to the elise because i figured it was the car most similar to the s2k. i thought it was outrageous but i dont know of any other schools accept monticello but i simply cannot afford monticello.

a friend of mine who is a mechanic is an instructor at skip barber so im going to see if they have discounts. doubt it though :/
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Skip barber is more if you plan in moving onto all out wheel to wheel racing. You're going to use their cars and the classes are invaluable. HPDEs with either NASA or any of the marquee clubs like Porsche club (which a lot of S2Ks go to) are more to improve your driving by progressing through the levels on full on tracks and to have fun. The goal isn't necessarily competition.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Skip barber is more if you plan in moving onto all out wheel to wheel racing. You're going to use their cars and the classes are invaluable. HPDEs with either NASA or any of the marquee clubs like Porsche club (which a lot of S2Ks go to) are more to improve your driving by progressing through the levels on full on tracks and to have fun. The goal isn't necessarily competition.
Yeah what he said. Porsche driving school is on my bucket list. Then again so is getting a Porsche.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in getting some track time?