New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Audio people...something fell out of my amplifer

Old 07-25-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio people...something fell out of my amplifer

I have a rockford 1500bd monoblock amp that I have been using for years to power a jlw7. Recently, I went to move my setup around, and I heard something shaking in the amp. So i opened it up and these orange little rectangle type things fell out I know NOTHING about how the internals of amps work and what this is, but I took pics. I was hoping you guys could help me and tell me if its repairable? btw, TWO of these fell out..I only took a pic with one...
Thanks guys!

Old 07-25-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They look like capacitors. They store a charge that's released during times of high power demand like low frequency bass hits. If you can order the parts, they're not hard to solder back in place but finding the parts may be more time and effort than its worth.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what i was going to say the capacitor but really dont have a whole lot of knowledge in this stuff
Old 07-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

did the solder come off? or did it actually break? What guys in the computer world do if a capacitor or video stops working is they bake it in the oven. Its similar to how its manufactured originally as the oven heats up the solder etc... Good luck!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can get me the part number via email i will see if it is something we have in stock or can source although we dont go much with commerical audio

ryan@o2xygen.com
Old 07-25-2009, 07:16 PM

theyre not broken, they just fell out. the amp was screwed to the top of the box ( i know, bad choice) for like 3 years and i guess the bass eventually shook the two loose. the reason i know theyre not actually broken is bc before the second one fell out, the amp was still working and powering the sub (just not as well). Then when it came loose, the amp wouldnt go out of protect mode. Anyone here can solder those pieces back in?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2002ep3stage1,Jul 25 2009, 05:29 PM
if you can get me the part number via email i will see if it is something we have in stock or can source although we dont go much with commerical audio

ryan@o2xygen.com
hey thanks. the pieces work, what i need is someone to solder them back into the amp. i don't really have any experience with it, although it seems easy enough. i'd rather not mess with all the circuitry just to be on the safe side.
Quick quesiton, does your email have anything to do with 02 Audio? I go to a audio shop in Long Island all the time and i'm pretty sure the owner of the store owns the company. If not, disregard this lol
Old 07-25-2009, 07:31 PM

Well there are a few things to consider. It looks like the board is a hybrid assembly of both through-hole and surface-mount components. I'm pretty sure that those are leaded devices (through-hole). If they came out, the leads are likely broken. There is a chance they can be put back in but it may be tough.
Also, you need to consider that any full heat cycle, such as baking the board, will also reflow other components as well which could cause other things to short or open; and it would help if you knew what solder it was assembled with (Sn 63, Sn 96, etc) if you went that route because each has a different reflow temperature. Local heat from a soldering iron is your best bet.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2002ep3stage1,Jul 25 2009, 05:29 PM

ryan@o2xygen.com
I thought of you right away but I didn't want to speak for you
Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

personal opinion... usually when u have a part like that fall off an amp... its time to find a new one... u can definatly get that part replaced... but its a pain in the ass to find someone to solder the extremely small solder points on the amp... not to mention trying to find the part with the same resistances i went through this a few times... IMO buy a new amp... other than rockford... the new rockford line is crap... they go out all the time... and there ubber cheap... IMO of course....

the older rockford stuff when they first came out was quality.... but not any more.. they decided to cater, and gear there business towards a mainstream (circuit city) crowd... if ya get my drift... try and stick with something like boston acoustic, or mephis... a little more pricey... but you'll get your moneys worth...

Quick Reply: Audio people...something fell out of my amplifer