New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Chicagoan NY bound!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chicagoan NY bound!

Hello All,

I hope this is the right place for this.
Im from Chicago , and will be visiting the Times Square area

Anyone know of nice hotels in that area? Within college student price reason.
Or areas of interest i would like to visit while there?
I will be there end of march , begining of April for a couple days

I know this is not a travel agency , but I thought I could just ask the experts
Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will move this over to the General area so you can get more help.

"college student price" What are you looking to spend per night? This is Manhattan you are trying to stay so you will be spending a pretty penny although you can find some deals. Maybe try checking out some websites and post up some hotel options. We do live here so don't always need a hotel but do know where they are located to best suit your stay.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id recommend trying to find a hotel in queens..save 60% over staying in manhattan.
Depending on what your looking to do.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:24 AM

I have narrowed it to Holiday Inn Express on 39th street , or the wellington hotel ($200 - $300 a night is my limit - cheaper is better tho) . I prefer times square as my work has its location there (walking distance). I work for a company right in Time square. But not all day .
Also any spots you guys recommend for eating/visiting? Ill be there 4-5 days.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by BBS2KLyN
Id recommend trying to find a hotel in queens..save 60% over staying in manhattan.
Depending on what your looking to do.
Queens FTW! Just a short 10 to 30 min train ride to Manhattan. However you have to be carefull where you stay. Someone had posted this question once before and a metro guy had recommended a boutique hotel that he had quickly found on some website but truth be told it was in a real shitty area. I knew the hotel and quickly posted about where it was (next to the Queens bridge projects and surrounding industrial area).

The Panamerican on Queens blvd isn't 5 stars but ok for the money.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by ScrapDog
I have narrowed it to Holiday Inn Express on 39th street , or the wellington hotel ($200 - $300 a night is my limit - cheaper is better tho) . I prefer times square as my work has its location there (walking distance). I work for a company right in Time square. But not all day .
Also any spots you guys recommend for eating/visiting? Ill be there 4-5 days.
My Manhattan office is in the Times Square area. Holiday Inn Express are always standard so that might be a safe bet. If your staying around there you can walk up to Hells Kitchen and hit any of the many bars, pubs, restaurants in that area. Reunion is a pretty trendy spot. Rudy's is the ultimate dive bar with free hot dogs all night. Valhalla has some good beer and gets some dancers sometimes stopping in from the dance school two blocks up.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 AM

Have you looked into staying in a hotel in Jersey City, NJ? Its right across the river from Manhattan and there are multiple trains that can have you in either Midtown or Downtown Manhattan in no more than 30 minutes. Just make sure the hotels are in downtown Jersey City.

When I'm in a new city I use apps like Foursquare and Yelp to help me find the good spots the city has to offer. I'm sure as a tourist your going to want to see Times Square, Empire State Building and all of those landmarks but I would also suggest just making your way into other neighborhoods and just walking around. SOHO and west village area have a lot of bars and restaurants where you can hang out at. Maybe even take in a museum as well if you have time.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 AM

New York is different than Chicago
You can find a place to eat or drink almost every corner
Old 03-06-2012, 05:29 AM

Thanks all. yes im just going to be a tourist. I havent been there since 2001. But I drove there in the past.. This time I just want to walk. I mean literally walk out of hotel and be there. I appreciate everything, im def going to Jersey aswell. Cake Boss is one of my FAV shows. Its pretty much all i watch and family guy, SO I wanna go check that out.

Def gonna check out Hells kitchen as well. Booking tonight
Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

its really easy to get to hoboken for the cake boss store. take the path train from 33rd st and 6th ave. it'll take you right to downtown hoboken, then its a 5 min walk to the store. its right on washington st.

Quick Reply: Chicagoan NY bound!