New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

City might raise car registration costs

Old 11-26-2008, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Nov 26 2008, 05:31 AM
1)Car parts? How many (percentage wise) SUV owners transport car parts (or anything large for that matter? 2%? That's being generous.

2)How many Escalades do you see full of 7 people? You are giving me hypothetical figures, where as mine are reality figures. It's just not the case.

3)Why do I care? Because I have to pay luxury tax on my Audi S5, but the guy with a Range Rover doesn't.

4)SUVs cause a lot of accidents, and deadly ones at that. They block the view of a normal car (if you are behind an Escalade, you can't see anything.) If you are at a stop sign, and there is an SUV on a corner, you can't see if anyone is coming.

Sports cars don't clog roads, there aren't THAT many of them, and they are quite small. HP doesn't cause traffic jams, and lack of parking in a city like NY.

All your reasons are "you CAN, you CAN"....my reasons are "people DONT."
what if you are 6'7 and weigh 370lbs?

do you suggest a mini cooper?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by quickshifting,Nov 26 2008, 08:16 AM

Again, you guys are talking about "exceptions" and not the NORM. What percentage of SUV drivers are 6'7" and weigh 370lbs? C'mon, get real.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Nov 26 2008, 03:40 PM
Again, you guys are talking about "exceptions" and not the NORM. What percentage of SUV drivers are 6'7" and weigh 370lbs? C'mon, get real.
So, we should base the taxes on your own stereotypes about the kind of people that drive SUVs and trucks? And your inconvenience?

Should they be exempted as work vehicles? Not unless they're commercially registered. But that doesn't equate to "tax the hell out of them because I don't like them."

So, you ARE hating on SUV drivers/owners because YOU don't want one, or see the need for one and have your opinion on the matter based on stereotypes concerning who drives them and what they're used for.

I bet my P/U has more cargo space than your Fit And I bet a suburban with the seats folded down also has more cargo space than your Fit. As does that Escalade...
Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Nov 26 2008, 02:40 PM
all my buddies who are big own trucks.

how do you pass a bill, then state: if you are 6'6" and over 315lbs you are exempt.

its bs.

if they are gunna be fair on this they should do the following:

they should base registration costs on the value of the vehicle!

honda civic owners shouldnt pay the same registration fee as ferrari owners!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Nov 26 2008, 02:40 PM
C'mon, get real.

its an opinion man, you have one and i have one.

im not telling you "C'mon, get real."

just because you believe so strongly on this subject doesnt mean others opinions are retarded.

i didnt say that this was the majority, i said what about these people.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is the reason I'll be soon to buy my BMW X5 is to be able to pull my S when I start tracking it, to have something nice to drive as my daily, to be able to pick up parts/ furniture/ appliances/ electronics etc.

Honestly if you use your car then it's worth having however, I highly doubt people with these HUGE ESV escalades are using it for anything other than hauling their family of 5 around. That i feel is stupid.

J's
Old 11-26-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by quickshifting,Nov 26 2008, 02:50 PM
if they are gunna be fair on this they should do the following:

they should base registration costs on the value of the vehicle!

honda civic owners shouldnt pay the same registration fee as ferrari owners!
However not value of the vehicle as that is a perceived amount, more the purchase price.

I don't want to be paying registration coss on an X5 that retails for $50k+ new if I only bought it for $22k, or if the kbb says $30k and I bought it for 22k etc.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by quickshifting,Nov 26 2008, 08:16 AM

A mini cooper actually has alot of room for the front two passengers, you would be surprised. London has been using a similar tax on vehicles for a while now, including a congestion tax and size of vehicle.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 PM

Coming from an S and a pick up owner, to tax based on the size is total BS. I already get nailed for a gas tax. I move a lot of shit with my truck. Furniture, tv's car parts. And i'm always DD'ing for my friends considering i dont drink all that often. A tax should be based on a price tag. Not an engine size or vehicle size. For every suv or pickup i've seen parked wrong i've seen 15 mid size to small vehicles parked incorrectly. I have a truck of the size that I do(f-150) because of the convenience and yes the size to people who are in smaller vehicles can be intimidating but that size has stopped people from cutting me off, tailgating me and other things. and as for being 6'7'' or 300lbs. being in the S for long periods isnt too comfortable. I'm 6'1'' 220. not all of us wanna scramble into a smart car or a miata.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:30 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by quickshifting,Nov 26 2008, 02:53 PM

its an opinion man, you have one and i have one.

im not telling you "C'mon, get real."

just because you believe so strongly on this subject doesnt mean others opinions are retarded.

i didnt say that this was the majority, i said what about these people.
I never said anything about anyone's opinion being retarted or wrong. However, if you are going to debate a topic, you have to be objective. Hence, my get real comment, meaning, you must look at the rule, not the exception.

Quick Reply: City might raise car registration costs