New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

EP3 Civic Si or RSX?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EP3 Civic Si or RSX?

I know members on here have owned one or the other and I assume you may have cross shopped the two as they are similar (2 door, Honda, hatch, 2.0l, etc). I am interested in both as they can be had for 8k in nice condition. I am not shopping for a RSX Type-S as the price is higher and insurance is costly. Also, I am not shopping for a 02/03 EP3 unless it is a great deal as I do not like the taillights and headlights. The money spent to upgrade would be better spent on a newer year. I am shopping for any year RSX, the newer the better as long as it fits in my price range.

Has anyone driven both of these cars? I am not looking to mod it so aftermarket support is not a concern of mine. I personally like the looks of the EP3 more and like the added benefit of a hatchback. I understand the RSX too is a hatchback but you know what I mean. How is the backseat room in an EP3 vs a RSX? I currently drive a Honda Insight daily and would like the added convenience of a backseat as now both of my cars only have 2 seats. Are they both comfortable to drive for long periods of time? Anything to look out for when purchasing one of these cars?

I have always liked the EP3 despite the negative reviews I have read comparing it to other Honda performance vehicles. I wanted one for a long time and do need a commuter car but with the RSX in the same price category offering more comfort and a nice interior, I have to shop for that as well. If you can think of any other cars made in the last decade that achieve 30mpg highway, please post them up. I have thought about it for a while and keep coming back to these two. I am going to miss my 70mpg Insight but that's okay, I would rather drive something else.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2011, 02:55 PM

buy a Honda Ruckus & call it a day Anuj
Old 06-02-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned an RSX in the past so I'm partial to it. I think the interior of the RSX is nicer and I came to appreciate the automatic climate control a lot. FWIW I was able to fit a lot of cargo into the back of the RSX despite the shallow rake of the hatch.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anuj, I actually bought a 04 Tafetta white EP3 4 months ago with 45k miles. Your more than welcome to come check it out in person. I drove the rsx and ep3 shopping for a DD. In my opinion, both cars were really similar performance wise as they share a lot of the same parts but the ep3 stood out in my eyes...i guess its cute?? I call it the s2000s baby sister. I know Gofast mentioned about the cargo space with rsx being roomy however I have to say hands down more room available in the ep3 especially with the seats folded down. I fit 2 s2k bumpers in the back with some room to spare. I've had people ride in the back seats without a problem. When Im city driving, im getting 22-24mpg and hwy 28-30mpg. I've heard ridiculous numbers like 35mpg from some others but they mustve really drove it like a grandma. Also, you should definitely get the 04-05, it doesn't have the minor problems from the 02-03 models. If you have any questions, let me know. clubep3 and ephatch.com is definitely a good site to get some info on the car but trying to find a decent ep3 is pretty hard. It took me 2 months to find one in good condition with low miles. Make sure you carfax, i had 3 ep3's come back with title issues. Also, watch out for tranny issues. RSX and EP3s are notorious for 2nd and 3rd gear grind especially at higher rpms. Im in fort lee, if you come out to humpday let me know and ill bring out the ep3 or your more than welcome to come check out at my place. If you have any questions, let me know. BUY EP3!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 PM

ohhh thats nice. no more subie?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Anuj
I currently drive a Honda Insight daily and would like the added convenience of a backseat as now both of my cars only have 2 seats... I am going to miss my 70mpg Insight but that's okay, I would rather drive something else.
I thought all Honda Insight have 4 doors? So, are you giving up your insight to get something with a backseat?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, nah man, no more subie. That shitbox definitely made me feel older than I was and made driving a bore.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by gotboost79
Haha, nah man, no more subie. That shitbox definitely made me feel older than I was and made driving a bore.
haha the EP3 is def better
Old 06-03-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Marv'S2K
buy a Honda Ruckus & call it a day Anuj
lol I considered one 2 years ago.. not anymore.

Originally Posted by gofast182
I have owned an RSX in the past so I'm partial to it. I think the interior of the RSX is nicer and I came to appreciate the automatic climate control a lot. FWIW I was able to fit a lot of cargo into the back of the RSX despite the shallow rake of the hatch.
I like the RSX ... I've been on clubrsx since '02! haha ..Put it on the list as it's a close second. The main attraction is that there are so many to choose from in comparison to the EP3!

Anuj, I actually bought a 04 Tafetta white EP3 4 months ago with 45k miles. Your more than welcome to come check it out in person. I drove the rsx and ep3 shopping for a DD. In my opinion, both cars were really similar performance wise as they share a lot of the same parts but the ep3 stood out in my eyes...i guess its cute?? I call it the s2000s baby sister. I know Gofast mentioned about the cargo space with rsx being roomy however I have to say hands down more room available in the ep3 especially with the seats folded down. I fit 2 s2k bumpers in the back with some room to spare. I've had people ride in the back seats without a problem. When Im city driving, im getting 22-24mpg and hwy 28-30mpg. I've heard ridiculous numbers like 35mpg from some others but they mustve really drove it like a grandma. Also, you should definitely get the 04-05, it doesn't have the minor problems from the 02-03 models. If you have any questions, let me know. clubep3 and ephatch.com is definitely a good site to get some info on the car but trying to find a decent ep3 is pretty hard. It took me 2 months to find one in good condition with low miles. Make sure you carfax, i had 3 ep3's come back with title issues. Also, watch out for tranny issues. RSX and EP3s are notorious for 2nd and 3rd gear grind especially at higher rpms. Im in fort lee, if you come out to humpday let me know and ill bring out the ep3 or your more than welcome to come check out at my place. If you have any questions, let me know. BUY EP3!!!
Your car is beautiful! I agree with you, the EP3 (04-05) looks great! The interior is also nice. I have never sat inside one or maybe I have but I can't remember as it would have been at the dealer more than half a decade ago. I am going to take you up on your offer as I'd like to learn more about the car from an owner. There are dime a dozen EP3s out there that have very high mileage and I just let a vivid blue with 27k miles on it go as my Insight wasn't sold yet. I am confident it will sell this afternoon. Anyway, I'll pm you soon. Thanks so much.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by S~Factor
I thought all Honda Insight have 4 doors? So, are you giving up your insight to get something with a backseat?
I did an S-Factor mod to my Insight. Welded the rear doors shut and cut out anything I could. No two tone though.

haha, I have an OG Insight that is still the leader in MPG for any car ever sold in the US (perhaps worldwide?). The car was released in '99 as a '00 model...

I'm in the same boat with my Insight. While I love 60-65mpg with the ac on, I feel weird driving it.

Quick Reply: EP3 Civic Si or RSX?