New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Gauging Interests: Anyone interested in a HT?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Gauging Interests: Anyone interested in a HT?

I was talking to a buddy of mine today and came across an interesting fuse in ideas. We were first talking about him acquiring an S2000, then the talks got alot more interesting.

We both were gauging an idea at the OEM hardtop. But we were thinking about making it in a FRP version with a possible Polycarbonate rear glass window (ASM offers the same material for their race cars for the front windshield and side windows). What we both thought was that the Mugen version lacked was a full rear view as the OEM had supplied. I have an OEM hardtop currently but would consider getting a OEM hardtop composite but in a lighter version for track usage.

The full scale idea has not been drawn out. It basically comes down to interests and who would basically be SERIOUSLY interested without backing out to get these created. We both briefly talked about the price and it has been floating around the $1200 range for the HT without hardware.

Hardware has yet to be decided on, We could make it in a Hard Plastic version with a metal insert sleeve for the side catchers, and the side latches would be somewhat near OEM. The front latches would be OEM. But we have yet to figure out the safety factor in replacing the aluminum side catchers with a hard plastic composite. Either way, I don't think hardware would save much money as I think OEM hardware is much safer to use. HTG sells the 00-01 kit for $600 and the 02+ kit for $500.

How many of you in Metro would be interested in this? Like seriously consider buying this?

I will try to have a prototype made of this so this mental picture can be more solid soon.

The HT will be made in house here in NY and not anywhere else.

Let the discussion begin.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always wanted a HT, but the price has always been in the way. I don't use my car enough in the winter to justify.

I would be interested in seeing what you have to offer.

I always like the Mugen style but my wife likes the OEM style because of the size of the rear window. Sounds like you may be offering the best of both worlds.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the idea sounds good marty....just a couple of concerns

if u add the cost of hardware, and the average cost of paint for a hartop, u are at an average of roughly $1000 additional in costs, making this go from a $1200 "deal'" to roughly the same price as a used oem at around $2200 w/ hardware

and being that an oem weighs in at about 40lbs, ur only justifiable benefit for this deal would be weight savings, assuming u can get it to be near the weight of a mugen frp at about 26lbs
Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im interested in an OEM style top.. whats the est. weight? 20 lb range?

Keep us posted
Old 09-11-2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by driver #8,Sep 11 2009, 11:51 PM
the idea sounds good marty....just a couple of concerns

if u add the cost of hardware, and the average cost of paint for a hartop, u are at an average of roughly $1000 additional in costs, making this go from a $1200 "deal'" to roughly the same price as a used oem at around $2200 w/ hardware

and being that an oem weighs in at about 40lbs, ur only justifiable benefit for this deal would be weight savings, assuming u can get it to be near the weight of a mugen frp at about 26lbs
Let me get to the drawing board and do this. Hopefully a prototype can be made within a month or so of what is actually pictured. At that time this can go a little further.

With the polycarbonate glass, I am thinking to get the top between 25 to 30lbs <- at maximum hopefully.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:29 AM

Draw up the prototype to look totaly different and supa sexy and it will generate interest. Oh and keep it light.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc,Sep 12 2009, 05:29 AM
Draw up the prototype to look totaly different and supa sexy and it will generate interest. Oh and keep it light.
if it had a removable section, ala targa top that would be the bomb
Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Deception,Sep 12 2009, 12:42 PM
if it had a removable section, ala targa top that would be the bomb
I was thinking that or T-Top but that would add some weight.

Marty, would it be possible to do T or Targa?

I wouldn't mind an extra 10 or so lbs for some utltra sexy targa action lol
Old 09-12-2009, 10:28 AM

im very intersted. i always wanted a HT but so pricey.

keep me posted.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:34 PM

I want to keep this design simple. Anything is possible but alot of variables take into place such as leaking in inclement weather, sealing at the seams, and actual strength of a single piece vs a 3 piece design. Latchings, hardware and so forth.

As far as actually designing and making it, We will see what can be dug up and what the initial cost would be. Like I said, the weight issue with this top will be interesting since we were juggling the idea of possibly getting it at a real low weight at a high price or a weight of about 25lbs at the given price.

Compared to the OEM top, The OEM top is 47lbs complete. So at this point trying to shave at least 40-45% weight off the OEM top's design into a FRP model.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interests: Anyone interested in a HT?