New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Got Involved in an Accident. Please help

Old 09-14-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Involved in an Accident. Please help

Hi Guys, I am still shocked from the accident. I was making a left turn on 18th ave to 73rd st in Brooklyn. This suv tried to wrap around me on the left. He crossed the double yellow trying to pass me. Instead, He hit my drive side front fender and pushed me to the Corner of the Street. My front end also hit the wall.

I am ok. my passenger was ok. And luckily no body was hurt except me banged my head to the door frame when my car was hit.

Now, my car is a 98 civic. It's now towed to a auto collision Center. Most likely it will be totaled for being too old. and it's not worth fixing it.

The police report wont be ready until Friday.

What should I do now? Do I need to tow the car to a different location so the shop won't charge me storage fee?

This never happened to me. Please give me some suggestions. I already called my insurance company and assigned me with a claim number. Will have to wait for the adjuster to call me.

Thanks in advance.

Update:
I got the police report today. The car is still at the shop. The Diagram in the police report clearly stated the SUV hit me on the side coming from behind while i was turning. Of course the dude's statement was like' he was trying to make a left turn but didn't know where I was coming from and hit me"

WTF, ppl just try to deny their fault these days? Cant live with honesty? The driver wasn't the owner of the car, Their insurance company will try to locate the guy. I hope they send out the inspector to see the car and take care of it soon.

Do you guys think it's a no brainer that his insurance will take liability for the damages?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 PM

insurance should cover the storage fees i wouldnt worry about that
Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your insurance will take care of everything. Now, without saying too much, go call a personal injury lawyer....you said the guy hit you by crossing a double yellow right?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:15 AM

Yes, he did. As he was trying to wrap around. I didn't have full coverage on the civic. I thought the car was too old for that. Since it was a beater.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he was at fault, his insurance is paying for you, and your insurance doesn't matter. Again, call a PI lawyer.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A similar thing happened to me back when I had my integra in 04. A person crossed double yellow lines to pass a tow truck and I braked hard in the rain and slid into him. He was on my side of the road so it was his fault and his insurance paid for everything. It was a total but I bought it back from insurance and fixed it because it was just front corner damage. I didn't pay a dime and didn't have collision on my car either. So just get the police report and contact his insurance company.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:41 AM

Def call a pi lawyer ad ny is a no fault state!

I'm sorry to hear about your accident but glad your ok!

Please tell me it's a 2dr manual with low ish miles!! If so i might interested in it if you van buy it back. Of course id give you a profitso
Old 09-15-2010, 05:46 AM

Please explain to me what's No-Fault State. I am from New Jersey. I am at work now. Left side of my head is still tight...

What should I do with the PI lawyer? Do I have to pay for one? I thought insurance would generally take care of the claim.

It's a hi mileage 4dr lx 5pd, yr 98 by the way. But The car was in great great condition Inside out. Now I am without a daily.

Thanks again for the comments.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 AM

No fault pretty much means that regardless of who's fault the accident was, each parties insurance makes a claim and covers the respective damage. You then have to sue in order to get their insurance to cover your costs and or medical bills.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bbp,Sep 15 2010, 02:51 PM
I know a good lawyer in Brooklyn that can get you compensated nicely if you go through therapy. If you need info PM me
ish wish I would've know you back when i got hit on my bike.. hit and run might I add!!

Quick Reply: Got Involved in an Accident. Please help