New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2009, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy New Year

Lots of New Years posts recently, but I'm sure you haven't seen one from this side of the world. I'm here in Manila for work, but since the holidays are upon us, I get some vacation on the side as well.

The pictures below are from Makati City, Metro Manila. Apologies as not all the pictures came out perfectly due to low lighting conditions, and the fact that this is my first time using a DSLR.

It had just started raining. It's the rainy season right now unfortunately, but it wasn't too bad. Many people were watching the action from far away on this footbridge connecting to mall complexes.

Random people on the bridge.

Well, I had to get closer to the action. No way, I flew 10K+ miles to watch 2009 start from afar. As I walked closer, the smell of food hit me. I'm sure some of you know what local Filipino food smells like, but it's GOOD. Lots of street vendors selling food, snacks, clothes, and light-up toys.

When I arrived, the countdown clock was at ~34 minutes or so. The crowd was pretty intense already.

This guy is apparently someone famous. Sang some songs in Tagalog and also in English. The crowd was mostly natives, but lots of foreigners as well.

28 minutes, y0!

Random people in the crowd.

These two people are also famous apparently. The girl, who was quite hot, was something like Miss Philippines or something. They mentioned it, but I couldn't understand. They gave out some prizes (digital cameras) and those 5 or 6 winners got in a drawing to win 1 million pesos. That's about $21275 at the current exchange rate. That's damn big money over here.

Getting closer!

19 seconds!!!!11111one!1!BBQWTF!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

At this point I just about lost my hearing haha. The confetti starting flying around, but then the rain started to get heavy again.

And since this is, in fact, a car forum, here is a Honda for you. As I was walking back to the hotel, this dude was redlining his engine and holding it there for like 30 seconds at a time. Pretty loud. Also the coolant was overflowing and spilling onto the street. I have no idea what this guy was trying to accomplish other than making a lot of noise....unless that was the whole premise?

This was a Civic Sedan VTI-S. I don't remember the specs, but it's obviously DOHC with Vtec and I believe it has 160hp, not sure.

Well, hope you enjoyed!

I have TONS of other pictures ranging from sightseeing pictures to NSFW ones. They will be posted in total when I return to the USA mid-January. My original post from a while back is here if anyone is interested: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2021347
Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

New Year in the Philippines is like New Year and July 4th combined in the US. You picked the PERFECT time to go there. Its definitely one to remember.

BTW, don't be tempted to bring a girl home.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 AM

I wish I was there.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by S~Factor' date='Jan 1 2009, 10:45 AM
New Year in the Philippines is like New Year and July 4th combined in the US. You picked the PERFECT time to go there. Its definitely one to remember.

BTW, don't be tempted to bring a girl home.
I've heard some crazy things about that...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Js S2k' date='Jan 1 2009, 12:38 PM
I've heard some crazy things about that...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Wait till I get back and post up the NSFW pics in the Hottie forum. I'll have the "regular" pictures here though. I've only been here 1 week and I have over 300 pictures.

Will be taking a lot more since I was mostly alone and wandering the streets. I felt weird going places alone, and I didn't want to get into a pickle haha. My coworker is arriving late tonight, so we can explore together after that for the next 14 days or so that I'm here.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 AM

wowowee
Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i miss the holidays back home. looks like u had a great time.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:12 PM

i miss home
Old 01-01-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

happy new year!!! looks like fun over there... maybe i should add that to one of the places i need to visit in my lifetime
Old 01-01-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Happy new years bro. I know your name from somewhere.... Honda-Tech possibly?

Quick Reply: Happy New Year