New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Hit and Run advice

Old 10-27-2017, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit and Run advice

Hi All,

I haven't been on this forum in a long time since I sold my s2000 but this group of car guys/gals seem to know whats up on every topic car related. So looking for some advice on a hit and run that my wife got into if you can help us out.

She was driving north on the BQE towards LIE when a truck that was merging on to the BQE swiped her front fender and side mirror. She tried to flag the truck driver to pull over many times and ended up seeing a state trooper on the side and pulled over thinking the truck would follow. Truck kept driving. State trooper said he couldn't do anything because it wasn't his jurisdiction and to pull over at the next exit to call police because it wasn't safe here.

At the next exit, she called the police 3 times over a course of 3 hours and waiting but no one showed. She ended up driving to a local precinct, filling out some MV 104 form, and shipping that off to Albany.

But now what do we do about damages to the car? We have a picture of the truck and license plate number. I can't make out the state but the numbers are clearly visible. It's not something I would want to go through my insurance with because damages I would guess to be around 500 - 1000 ( which is around the cost of my deductible). Google searches leads to a lot of lawyer websites talking about hit and run scenarios.

Can anyone with experience or insight share some info?

thanks guys
Old 10-27-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Damages? You never contact the other driver. You contact your insurance company. That how it works for everything. Let them deal with it. The uninsured motorist section of your policy covers this.

Have no clue what your road "codes" mean. Not saying this was the case here but cars that ride the merging lane set themselves up for this. There are normally several lanes to drive in. Merging traffic only has one (1). Let 'em merge. Insisting on your right of way doesn't always work.

-- Chuck
Old 10-27-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

I agree. Go to your insurance company. You should have a copy of the report and the pictures to share. If they can determine the driver/vehicle they'd get to the other insurance company and probably do an investigation. If it's determined their fault, you won't pay a deductible. If they can't, you will.

I'm guessing that the truck never even knew they cut across the front of the car and hit your wife.

I'm pretty good with license plates - what color plate, what color writing, any logos, etc....
Old 10-27-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

$1,000 worth of damages. No lawyer will get involved unless he is your brother.

Try tracking down the plate and sending a demand to truck company. A lot of tractor trailers are registered in Maine, so maybe try there.

Otherwise, at least you have a casualty loss to claim on your income taxes.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:16 PM

Ok thanks for the tips guys.

My gut instinct was to avoid calling insurance because I heard the minute you call them with this type of claim, regardless if you're at fault or not, your rates will go up.

Just received the photo from my wife and realized there is a telephone number on there so I'll start with that. Maybe I can somehow get them to pay something. 1k is enough for me to sting a little bit that I would put some effort into trying to recover some of it. And then if that doesn't work, I'll just call the insurance and let them figure it out like you guys suggested.

By the way, here is the photo (attempting to share link from imgur) if someone recognizes the state of the license plate.

https://imgur.com/vlJILqh
Old 10-27-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

My gut tells me that the JJS on the back doors are a better lead than the BNB phone number. Likely a truck stop/center/repair shop used by the company that owns the truck.

Truck Rental · Closed
275 Feldman Ct, Bay Shore, NY · (631) 242-0050

I was just on a trip, and the 22- plates are were a common site on commercial vehicles. I'm near positive that's Maine.

Edited for BNB info... HFreak posted below already

Last edited by Heyitsgary; 10-27-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: New info....
Old 10-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Here is a link, the company name and font are the same. JJS Transportation & Distribution Co. | Our Reputation is Your Guarantee! "Think Globally – Act Locally"

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I did the research and the I see Hey it's Gary and Hfreak beat me to it. It's JJS trucking you need to contact and all truck id numbers are on the top of the doors. Good luck.

http://jjstransportation.com/
Old 10-27-2017, 05:18 PM

You guys are the best. And that's why I posted on this forum. thanks a bunch!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that trooper was being lazy, should report them too.. everywhere in NY is their jurisdiction

Quick Reply: Hit and Run advice