New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Looking for another DD

Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for another DD

Ok, my good friend Chris from Done Rite autobody has a 2008 STi, white with BBS package and around 9k miles. He got the car with a clean title from a guy who sold it as it was broken into and the ecu and stereo were taken. In the process, the wiring harness was destroyed and they damaged both doors (need minor paint work on them). He is going to fix it and sell to me for $23,000 which seem like a good deal. I believe the Carfax is still clean, meaning a better resale value if I purchased and decided to sell.

I was also thinking of looking at a lease on an EVO X, '10 as I've seen some pretty cheap deals offered. Main advantage would be a full warranty for the period I would have the car. I would also look into purchasing a used one as I've seen dealers asking around $26k for them.

Anyone know how much I could negotiate down on an '08 EVO X?

What should I pay for a leftover EVO X lease? Would probably want a 36 month.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

08 STi
- Issues w/ engine. There was a reflash recall. Lots of the engines blow. Many others w/ no issues at all. Luck of the draw.
- Transmission is strong, but sloppy.
- Seating position, steering, all inputs.. feels like your driving a CR-V.
- POS seats. The most unsupportive seats on a performance car. Flat like a park bench.
- Saw a used 08 w/o BBS w/ 20k miles for $26k.

Evo X
- Issues w/ clutch. Need to replace the clutch master cylinder and upgrade clutch.
- No warranty (Mitsubishi will do everything in their power to deny your warranty claim).
- Great steering.
- Supportive seats, but the fabric comes apart (no biggie).
- Saw a used SSS locally w/ 25k miles for $24k.

For whatever reason (probably because of Ken Block), used STis will cost more than Evos given the same year, mileage, etc. If I were forced to choose between the two, I'd get the STi for the practicality (wagon).

Edit: I was doing my research between the two cars. I had thoughts of getting one for a daily also. But I remember how I hated how my 04 STi drove. Lots of understeer and it felt like a pig. Not a fan of AWD!!! I came to my senses and will look into other cars for a DD. A Golf TDi looks to be a good buy.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info. My friend had to take it to the dealer to get the key to work with the new ecu and he's going to make sure it gets the reflash. I'm looking for a fun DD that I can drive all year and be somewhat comfortable. If I mod at all it will be lightly. I would probably buy a really big swaybar for the back of the STi though to quell the understeer. I drive pretty conservatively now anyway since I hit 30 lol.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're fun on the street, but feel like pigs at the track/autox (albeit w/ fast times).
Old 09-16-2010, 09:25 AM

I'll tell you what Rich at Precision Tuning told me, get a Legacy GT (turbo model) with the 6 speed manual or Forester with turbo.

Much better interior and ride, and a few mods can get some really nice power.

(Rich is like the Suby Guru of the north east)
Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stitos2k,Sep 16 2010, 09:25 AM
I'll tell you what Rich at Precision Tuning told me, get a Legacy GT (turbo model) with the 6 speed manual or Forester with turbo.

Much better interior and ride, and a few mods can get some really nice power.

(Rich is like the Suby Guru of the north east)
Agreed with Forester and Legacy.

Cheaper with insurance too if it's going to be your DD.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I have to start researching EVOs.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackStar,Sep 16 2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I have to start researching EVOs.
Only one dislike about the Evo is the fwd-based transaxle setup as opposed to subaru's rwd-transmission setup.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 AM

I really like Evo X's for some reason, and have considered one as a future DD if my parents take my TSX. I'd probably get an E46 M3 instead though, or 335/135i.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:03 AM

Anyone have any contacts at a Mitsu dealer? I would like to explore a used option, but most of the dealers have the used '08s nearly as high as the brand new 10's. I don't feel like wasting my time haggling down prices.

Quick Reply: Looking for another DD