New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

New to forums from NY

Old 07-04-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forums from NY

Hey, im new to the forums, just registered. I've been reading through hundreds of posts and won't post any noob questions but would like advice from the tri-state area people. I've been contemplating on buying a 2002 Suzuka blue S2000 with 51k miles for 16,500. The price seems good but this car will be my daily driver. I had a 2006 RSX-S and im used to having the extra room....is it hard to get used to a 2 seater?

The car will be parked on the street here in queens year around, ill probably get a bumper badger to protect the bumpers.....My parents keep telling me not to get this car because in the winter it wont go anywhere.....I've read that with snow tires the S2000 is great? Being in Queens, NY, its only snows a few times during winter....is it worth getting snow tires in this case or do you guys just do not drive on snow days and take a taxi or public transportation? I would want to get a hardtop for winter, but they are like 3k?

Parking on the street is something i don't know if i should do with a convertible.....is it easy for someone to just go up to the car and cut a hole in the top?

Any Tri-state area daily drivers who park there car on the street with no garage, please chime in....

Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Ant Anthem,Jul 4 2007, 10:56 AM]Hey, im new to the forums, just registered. I've been reading through hundreds of posts and won't post any noob questions but would like advice from the tri-state area people. I've been contemplating on buying a 2002 Suzuka blue S2000 with 51k miles for 16,500.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:39 AM

hey, thanks for all that info, unfortunately i dont have a driveway or garage so i will have to live with it being parked on the street.....i definetly want to get a hardtop but spending like 3k for one is nuts....im probably better off geting an S2000 with one already, it will probably be cheaper in the long run....

Also, do you think its worth it for me to save up for a 2004 2.2liter, i really think the revised styling looks awesome....or should i just go for this 2002?

Is 51k miles alot on this 2002 S2000? Any help would be great, im going to go look at it later in the week, i would like to know what maintence should have been done by this mileage besides the basic oil changes? Any trouble spots i should look for that the 2002's are know to have?

Do the pre 2004 really burn 1QT of oil every 1k miles? Will i actually have to put a QT in when i reach 1k miles all the time?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant Anthem,Jul 4 2007, 11:39 AM
Do the pre 2004 really burn 1QT of oil every 1k miles? Will i actually have to put a QT in when i reach 1k miles all the time?
LOL who told you this? Definitely not true. In fact, my00 does not burn oil (i check every 2 fillups)

You may want a hardtop for the reason being our cars' tops get slashed a lot and then the thieves steal our seats/gauges/whatever they can get their hands on. Our seats being the most wanted.

The 06 RSX-S is a great car, I say stick with it. It's 4 years newer than the S2000 you are looking at. When you have garage space or at least a driveway, go for it then. The car will be waiting. Maybe at that point you will be able to afford the AP2 (04+) and keep the RSX as well.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant Anthem,Jul 4 2007, 11:39 AM
Also, do you think its worth it for me to save up for a 2004 2.2liter, i really think the revised styling looks awesome....or should i just go for this 2002?
Form and function are a personal choice.

I have a 2004 (AP2) and it revs to 8K
a 2002 (AP1) will rev to 9K.

I would get an AP1 just for that reason.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 AM

ap1 ftw.....bump for a new memeber

all i got to say...buy the car..ull love it...then u pay to become a member...and get on billmans list....for a onceover!!!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:23 AM

The looks of the car is really just a personal choice. I happen to like the AP2 looks with its upgraded lights and wheels. Then again, you could always get an AP1 and do these upgrades yourself.

As far as revving up to 9K, with so many cars in the NY streets these days, I don't think I've gone over 6,000 rpms for months.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:53 AM

thanks for all that info, but right now im looking for a daily driver and considered a used S2000......I actually got into a bad car accident with the RSX and it was deemed totaled.....I guess with cleared out front lights and a nice bumper, the AP1 would look as good as any AP2 while i would be saving a ton of cash in the process.....

Can anyone provide me with more info specific on the car i want to purchase, its a 2002 with 51k miles......Being a honda and reliable, i would think 51k miles is nothing......Is it different for the S2000.....reading around the forums people say that compared to other honda/acura's the S2000 is more maintence....what type of maintence is required for these cars besides the basic oil changes?

What type of maintence should have been done for the car i want to purchase with 51k miles?? Is there any preventive maintence i can do if i buy it? (replacing wear items before they go bad and leave me stranded)
Old 07-04-2007, 09:54 AM

Truth be told... our cars are targets for those who want to slash and steal the seats and take out the headlights. But the real problem is that the price that Honda places on our seats; it's staggering. Have your top cut and seats stolen and the insurance company will most likely total the car!
Old 07-04-2007, 10:16 AM

dam so i guess i should really get a hardtop.....whats the average price you guys are paying? Any specific place in the NY area you can get them for a good deal?

Is there any honda mechanics specializing in S2000's in the Queens, NY area where i can get the used car looked at?

Please more info on the question i asked above about the 2002 with 51k miles....

Quick Reply: New to forums from NY