New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

NJ Inspection Emissions question

Old 08-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, nobody told me about these cameras.. I sat shotgun as they drove my car over the camera. Only thing is, I have a TP on my car.. so I thought I was f'd for sure. I'm staring at a pic of my TP on the monitor..

Luckily they took about 15 min debating with each other about where the cat was, popped my hood and eventually decided to just let me go on through.

Meanwhile I'm clenching my ass the entire time acting stupid.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

that's crazy and must be new for this yr. i got my car inspected last yr in paramus and there was no camera or monitor. im surprised they spent the money to install those with all of the cutbacks they did a few yrs ago.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 AM

im guessing theyre installing them slowly into each inspection station and doing 1 at a time. soon they'll all have it im sure.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sunman
yup, nobody told me about these cameras.. I sat shotgun as they drove my car over the camera. Only thing is, I have a TP on my car.. so I thought I was f'd for sure. I'm staring at a pic of my TP on the monitor..

Luckily they took about 15 min debating with each other about where the cat was, popped my hood and eventually decided to just let me go on through.

Which DMV was that, South Brunswick? I would cringe if i had to sit shotgun and watch the inspector repeatedly stall my car. Guy stalled it 4 times last time, asked him if he needed help
Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the info guys! I'm just going to throw the cat back on before going to inspection. I'm pretty certain the DMV in Randolph had cameras that looked under my girlfriend's car last month. Rather just throw the cat back on to avoid any issues.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by John'
Originally Posted by sunman' timestamp='1344899009' post='21934337

Which DMV was that, South Brunswick? I would cringe if i had to sit shotgun and watch the inspector repeatedly stall my car. Guy stalled it 4 times last time, asked him if he needed help
Yep, that's the one.. I know they also have them in Edison/Kilmer.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

What the hell is going on here, cameras to do an inspection? what is this world coming to? Here in New York, they plug in to your OBD II port, no check engine light, Ok, have a nice day (depending where you go). some places will check the brakes, wipers, tires, under the car to make everything is there, etc. You go to where I send people, good to go as long as you don't have a check engine light, your good.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:14 PM

the dmv i go to also has the cameras. When I went to get my beater inspected recently, I asked what would happen if it didn't have a cat and he said they would just fail it. But I didn't even see him look at the monitor. Got me worried since I put a TP on recently and need an inspection soon but I think I will just try my luck.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM

Boosted inspection in 5 months FML

Barry Paramus ? Or Lodi never heard of a Paramus spot ?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 AM

yea kel, paramus has an inspection station, not a dmv. lodi has the dmv and inspection station. the paramus inspection station is on century rd.

Quick Reply: NJ Inspection Emissions question