New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Pulled Over

Old 12-12-2006, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled Over

Hi guys last night I got pulled over for loud exhaust and speeding. The cop said I took off the line too quickly and my exhaust was way too loud (Invidia...thank you). He then proceeded to tell me he sees me around town often and was going to pull me over this afternoon for speeding down the same road.

My problem with this:
1. I did not take off the line too quickly. I was only trying to get ahead of the my friend next to me so I could pass him (needed to make a right turn 50ft ahead was in no extreme rush...my friend was following me). My friend claims he was going 25mph. I thought I was going 35mph at most since I saw his lights go on after I went 20ft.

2. The cop was 4 or so cars behind me at the light so how could he tell I was speeding?

3. I do not drive the S very often since it is cold. I use my FIT pretty much every where I go. The S has been garaged for atleast 2 month (only took it out a hand full of times in between to drop my mom off at the mall)

4. I work fulltime and there was no way I was around my town during the afternoon.

Question:
1. Does anyone know what the law is for loud exhaust?
2. Anyone know how much the fine is about? The officer had no idea and couldnt find where it was. I can call, but just hoping if anyone knew off the top of their head.
3. Why do you think I got pulled over?

Oh yeah the officer was not a jerk or anything. He gave me a ticket for loud exhaust only (although a speeding ticket IMO would have been rediculous).
He also let me go for having an out of date insurance card on me (out of date by only a week...I never drive this car)

Thanks guys
Vinnie
Old 12-12-2006, 06:48 AM

he just wanted to give you a ticket. 1/2 of the time it's for no reason other than your in a nice car. My argument to them would be that a stock mustang will make just as much noise from the factory
Old 12-12-2006, 07:01 AM

Damn, that sucks. An exhaust ticket is the same as any other illegal part (ie. tints that are too dark, hyperwhite turn signals, neons on the outside of the car, etc), so its just a parts violation. The last time that I got one of those it was around $55, which sucks, but at least its not a moving violation so its not the end of the world. BTW, with an older car of mine I got pulled over for my exhaust while I was sitting in neutral at a red light, he threw his lights on before I even touched the gas.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:14 AM

Ahh so no getting out of this one I guess. I have a completely clean record. I got a ticket last year but was dropped since it was complete bs.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like Mike said, at least its not a moving violation. just pay the ticket and move on. no point in fighting this crap. its like getting a no front plate ticket.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:01 AM

Yeah, the only thing that can help you out just in case this cop or another officer decides to bust your balls again would be to have a PBA card. I always carry one on me with my license and if you are respectful to the officer they always get me out of BS tickets.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:14 AM

Yeah I have a few of them. I showed them to him and he said hell do me a favor and not give me the speeding ticket since I have them. Then i asked him how long he has been on the force and he told me he was new...This is the first time I have ever been pulled over in my own town.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MY04NFRS2000,Dec 12 2006, 10:23 AM
Hi guys last night I got pulled over for loud exhaust and speeding. The cop said I took off the line too quickly and my exhaust was way too loud (Invidia...thank you). He then proceeded to tell me he sees me around town often and was going to pull me over this afternoon for speeding down the same road.

My problem with this:
1. I did not take off the line too quickly. I was only trying to get ahead of the my friend next to me so I could pass him (needed to make a right turn 50ft ahead was in no extreme rush...my friend was following me). My friend claims he was going 25mph. I thought I was going 35mph at most since I saw his lights go on after I went 20ft.

2. The cop was 4 or so cars behind me at the light so how could he tell I was speeding?

3. I do not drive the S very often since it is cold. I use my FIT pretty much every where I go. The S has been garaged for atleast 2 month (only took it out a hand full of times in between to drop my mom off at the mall)

4. I work fulltime and there was no way I was around my town during the afternoon.

Question:
1. Does anyone know what the law is for loud exhaust?
2. Anyone know how much the fine is about? The officer had no idea and couldnt find where it was. I can call, but just hoping if anyone knew off the top of their head.
3. Why do you think I got pulled over?

Oh yeah the officer was not a jerk or anything. He gave me a ticket for loud exhaust only (although a speeding ticket IMO would have been rediculous).

Thanks guys
Vinnie
To answer some of the things:

2. He couldn't tell you were speeding but since hes a cop (and OF COURSE never lies and always tells the truth, yeah right ) whatever he says goes pretty much

Now your questions:

(I only know about NJ) There is no actual law that states anything about a legal noise limit for exhausts for consumer cars (there is for trucks, work areas, etc). My guess is, it will go under either a pollution ticket (because exhausts pollute right? No...) or modifying your emissions system. When I got pulled over he said it was like a 100 dollar ticket or some bs.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 AM

I am pretty sure that in NY there is a DB limit for exhausts.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the responses. I just hope they dont keep bothering me about it. i will have to eventually change my exhaust at that point.

Quick Reply: Pulled Over