New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Purchased an 05 TL,

Old 10-15-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased an 05 TL,

I just purchased an 05 70Kmi, one-owner TL from private party. Car is a beast. It has plenty of power to spare, handles fairly well, and to boot, has navi. I could not ask for anything more in a used "winter beater.

I'm questioning the tires I have now, or worse, some sort of vibration I'm getting under load, maybe torque converter.....it's odd, I feel the vibration above 60 , but when I disengage to neutral, it's still there. So it could be tires. The contradiction is the following....I'm going up an incline, and I feel a similar vibration under extra load....

When I test drove two other TL, I thought they all felt similar.... also when I test drove this one, I presumed it was the road I was driving on, but to my surprise it continued on other roads I know are smooth.

The worse case scenario is a torque converter, best case is tire re-balance... Engine is butter smooth and quiet. Tranny shifts fine.

Anyone here with a TL with similar experience? I got a great deal, so I'm open to some expense. How much would it cost to do this sort of job?

Cheers!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 07 TL-S, from what I've been reading, the AT pressure sensors should be replaced as precaution. http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729149

But if your saying it still vibrates while in neutral, maybe its the tires/wheels. Double check your rims and tires, also make sure the wheels are seated to the hub correctly too. Check out acurazine and do a search, im sure you'll find a world of info. Its an awesome car, just make sure you do maintenance on the auto tranny, It has a lot of issues from 04-06.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

When you rotate tires does the vibration move to a different corner? Wheel bearing?
Old 10-16-2011, 01:41 PM

if u have the factory rims get rid of them....the bend and crack easy....i went through 2 sets of them and thats with dodging potholes and bumps in the road...sound like u have balancing issue though
Old 10-16-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm hoping it's just balancing since it is also present at higher speeds when the car is in neutral. The only kicker is when I accelerate under load up hill, I feel the same vibration getting worse. Can unbalanced tires vibrate more as you accelerate? I'm hoping the tires aren't masking another vibration.
I'm going to take the car to stealership and have them take it for a quick spin just for piece of mind. The Pepboy's guy did say the winter tires seem to need rebalancing, but he was reluctuant to take it on the highway since it was a few miles out of the way.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:44 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by gotboost79
I have a 07 TL-S, from what I've been reading, the AT pressure sensors should be replaced as precaution. http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729149

But if your saying it still vibrates while in neutral, maybe its the tires/wheels. Double check your rims and tires, also make sure the wheels are seated to the hub correctly too. Check out acurazine and do a search, im sure you'll find a world of info. Its an awesome car, just make sure you do maintenance on the auto tranny, It has a lot of issues from 04-06.
Got one too, same year. yeah the TL, yeah a beast... crazy power in these things specially the 05

what kind of tires? i've had issues with the tire side walls wearing out before the actual tread on the tire, makes a ton of noise.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:03 AM

Sounds to me that its just in need of a re balance...I had a 2004 6spd with Navi loved that car. I would deff get another 07+ Type S.....enjoy it.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

What size rims?

another thing i thought of was last time i went to get my tires rotated i had them grid off the surface rust between the disc and rim. a little surface rust and the rim wont seat tightly.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have vibration under load only! its most likely inner axle joints....i see this a lot at my dealer on 03-07 accords...sounds like your having same issue to me here..now if u have a vibration while the car is in movement its usually a flat spot on tires, shifted belts, or bent rims....if u only have a vibration at around 60 its gonna be a balancing issue...
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 AM

I found out that I have TWO bent rims on the inside edge. It was hard to tell until they spun it on the Hunter balancer...

The worst part about it now is after they rebalanced them and moved both bent ones to the rear the car shakes even more .

I need to get wheels and new set of matching tires because I can't handle the vibration on the expressway now.

I'm not looking for anything expensive and found a few good deals on tirerack.

Any suggestions out there for my winter beater? I found decent looking rims for ~ $200 a piece. I would rather stick with gunmetal or something that has a matte finish. OEM's are hell of lot more which gives me an opportunity to get aftermarkets

Quick Reply: Purchased an 05 TL,